Crikey

Gillard 71, Rudd 31

Phillip Coorey of the Sydney Morning Herald reportedly reports that Julia Gillard’s winning margin over Kevin Rudd in this morning’s Labor leadership vote has been 73-29, coming in at the higher end of market expectations.

UPDATE: The official announcement has actually been that the margin was 71-31. Headline amended. Apologies that comments are currently off, which has been necessary to manage Crikey’s notoriously shaky bandwidth.

UPDATE 2: Ongoing apologies for the offness of the comments. Essential Research has come in at 56-44, up from 55-45 last week and 54-46 the week before. Labor’s primary vote is down a point to 32 per cent and the Coalition’s is up one to 49 per cent, with the Greens steady on 11 per cent. Further questions have 39 per cent blaming Julia Gillard for Labor’s problems against 18 per cent for Kevin Rudd, 23 per cent for others in the party and 10 per cent for the media. Reactions to the Gonski report are typically social democratic, with 61 per cent preferring more education funding to a return to a budget surplus and 68 per cent supporting the report’s recommendations as described against 13 per cent opposed.

Categories: Federal Politics 2010-2013

4059 Responses

Comments page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 |
  1. gusface @3190

Well, we have been speculating that perhaps Chris isn’t welcome at home. Maybe this is evidence that that’s true!!

by zoomster on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:32 pm

2. The Carr story had such an air of desparation about it- Shanahan and Grattan, joint coalition ministers for propaganda utterly determined not to give our PM one day of clear air. Both the theories: that the move by Carr was shelved due to leaks or due to the PM being heavied by factions were both ridiculous. The PM has just won a thumping caucus victory and is able to choose her cabinet and she was going to be heavied??? The truth- that he was spoken to and declined- is very boring but much more believable,

Another huge fail for our MSM

by Andrew on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:33 pm

3. victoria – interesting isn’t it? And check out this morning editorial…

Editorial: Public fails to see Gillard as right choice
    5:30 AM Tuesday Feb 28, 2012

New Zealand does not often take more than a passing interest in Australian politics but it can heartily welcome the survival of Prime Minister Julia Gillard who has soundly defeated a challenge from former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd. On her visits to this side of the Tasman Ms Gillard has displayed a warmth and interest not often seen from previous prime ministers, including Mr Rudd.

................

His standing with the Australian public is the most surprising element of the drama from this distance. His forced smile and evident vanity are not characteristics Australians normally admire. But Ms Gillard, Australia's first woman prime minister, has not endeared herself to them either. She has the best part of two years left to put Mr Rudd's destabilisation campaign behind her and improve her own standing with the public.

Worth reading in full

by Leroy on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:33 pm

4. If the media is determined to misreport and distort what people say

An absolutely classic example of the ludicrous meme here.

Even when Gillard herself concedes it is a tax, you blame the media for calling it a tax.

Its all the media’s fault…don’t pay any attention to what our leaders actually say, its just the media making stuff up eh?

by Mod Lib on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:33 pm

5. smithe

Note that in NZ, there are no Murdoch papers.

Slice of heaven, indeed.

Youse made me do it :)

by poroti on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:34 pm

6. ModLib, I’m on your side. I want you to win this one. I, like you, think it’s much more important to analyse what somebody says or said in strict interpretive terms than it is to discuss what the policy is and what it does. You can win a big victory for semantics here – and really, what are we if we can’t nitpick about the little things? All we’d have is our policies.

And it is important, and I’d love to back you up, but I’ve found something even more important than that which requires my attention. My toenails need clipping, so I’m afraid I’ll have to leave you to fend for yourself. Good luck.

by Aguirre on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:34 pm

7. ajm
    Posted Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

How about Lindsay Tanner for ABC chair?

Certainly smart enough and knows the problems.

by Gorgeous Dunny on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:34 pm

8. Meanwhile the PM has been subjected to a vicious misogyny, which is appearing as endorsement in comments you make in response to zoomster about Costello etc. If arrogant is acceptable for Keating/Costello, why not the PM?

Where have I described arrogance as acceptable?

I am merely providing an opinion about how Gillard could deliver her lines in a better way. However, apparently that is further proof that I am sexist.

Yep, still got it Confessions, don’t worry I can understand your argument, I just disagree with it!

by Mod Lib on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:36 pm

9. Mod Lib
    ITISNOTATAXITISAPRICEONCeEMISSIONS.

by poroti on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:36 pm

10. Mod Lib do you want to prove yourself a dope or something?

The carbon tax is REALLY a scheme. It is a scheme because of all the revenue it collects it is returned to consumers and to trade exposed industries.

The net affect of that is that a price is put on carbon for its use.

by Centre on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:36 pm

11. ag

u mean u are getting re shod

by gusface on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:37 pm

12. If the media is determined to misreport and distort what people say, and deliberately misportray situations, then it becomes impossible to get the real message out.

And so it is left to Bob Brown of all people to point out that the Prime Minister’s sex has led to the many and varied sexist attacks against her from our media.

by confessions on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:37 pm

13. graeme Orr,

The Great “WIFM” will turn the debate.

The jingle jangle of a few bucks in the pocket will explain far better than words how the Carbon Price will work.

by Greensborough Growler on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:37 pm

14. My toenails need clipping, so I’m afraid I’ll have to leave you to fend for yourself.

Hope you have better luck with that mission that your mission here Aguirre!

by Mod Lib on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:38 pm

15. You do concede its a carbon tax?
    I’m happy to use the word tax.
    I understand some silly little collateral debate has broken out today
    I mean, how ridiculous.

I am reading this as Ms Gillard is happy to generally use the word tax, nowhere does she say that she is happy to call it a carbon tax or use the term carbon tax. In any of the transcript does Ms Gillard ever use the term carbon tax, if so I have never seen that part.

Therefore in my opinion Ms Gillard is happy to use the word tax when it refers to a tax such as income tax but in regard to the carbon pricing, it is carbon price and not a tax.

by HaveAchat on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:38 pm

16. CPS was aware of our speculations”. So, the senior police does “speculations”? Dear Dawkins!

by This little black duck on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:39 pm

17. Gillard has said that she is happy to use the word tax. That does not mean strictly speaking that she said it was a tax!

Too funny!

by Mod Lib on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:39 pm

18. Thanks ModLib, appreciate your concern. Gotta zip!

by Aguirre on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:39 pm

19. Gotta zip!

You mean gotta clip!

by Mod Lib on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:41 pm

20. Leroy

Love the part [forced smile and evident vanity] are such a perfect description!

by victoria on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:41 pm

21. Where have I described arrogance as acceptable?

Ahhh. Here we come to the nub of Howard Weaselism.

‘I didn’t directly say it, therefore I didn’t say it!!!!’

You must think we’re mugs. I lived through a decade of this shit, so please don’t insult my intelligence of coming the innocent on this with me.

by confessions on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:41 pm

22. Andrew
    Posted Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

Yes indeed. They’re looking pretty damn stupid now, aren’t they?

And what about the Opposition, running the same untrue story as grist for it’s QT attack?

That’s one completely wasted QT.

And the forty-third wasted SSO Motion.

by smithe on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:42 pm

23. And interesting that you reply to me, not zoomster who so eloquently put the same point to you before I did.

Yes, we have been having this back and forth for an hour, but my response to you is further proof of sexism.

Yes, yes, I have followed your line of argument Confessions…

by Mod Lib on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:44 pm

24. I look forward to Shanahan’s page one apology tomorrow

by Andrew on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:44 pm

25. gusface

Matty Horan on twitter asks whether ABC intern has pinched Uhlmann’s phie

by victoria on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:44 pm

26. Too funny!

Well Mod Lib, do you consider an ETS as being a tax?

Are you aware, or can you remember that your :mrgreen: hero originally called the CPRS a “great big new tax”?

Refer to my previous post you might learn something!

by Centre on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:45 pm

27. Mod Lib you can only claim that the prime minister concedes that something is a tax if
    you have evidence that 1) she says it is a tax and 2) it is actually a tax.

You have failed to give any convincing evidence for 1.

I suspect that you would also fail to be able to justify 2.

I think you should give up trying to claim that the prime minister lied.

The readers here are not some sort of low intellect followers of some populist shock jock.

by ___cog___ on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:45 pm

28. Oops phone

by victoria on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:45 pm

29. Well, Costello had no balls.

ducly, julia has no balls too, but she got gut as he’s a nut

by The Finnigans on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:46 pm

30. LL continued the absolutely disgraceful ABC reporting of the Carr/faceless men scandal. Included wtte ‘The PM has emphatically denied the report in the Australian but that didn’t stop the Opposition relying on it to attack the PM’. Included footage of Abbott making fanciful claims about an issue that means absolutely FA. Shock horror a PM consults with senior colleagues about possible cabinet appointments.

by CO on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:48 pm

31. Finns

Gillard 4 Abbott 2???

by victoria on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:48 pm

32. Finns,

Julia has Tone’s, both of them.

by This little black duck on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:48 pm

33. Mod Lib you can only claim that the prime minister concedes that something is a tax if
    you have evidence that 1) she says it is a tax and 2) it is actually a tax.

cog: actually all I have to do to claim the PM concedes that something is a tax is to provide evidence that the PM concedes that it is a tax.

Exhibit A:

HEATHER EWART: With this carbon tax - you do concede it's a carbon tax, do you not?

JULIA GILLARD: Oh, look, I'm happy to use the word tax, Heather. I understand some silly little collateral debate has broken out today. I mean, how ridiculous. This is a market-based mechanism to price carbon.

How much clearer do you need it to be? Do you concede it is a tax? Oh, look I’m happy to use the word tax.

I am sorry that your own PM is refuting all of your claims, but don’t shoot the messenger, talk to Gillard directly.

by Mod Lib on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:49 pm

34. I do not care if it is called a tax, a trading scheme or a block of cheddar cheese as long as it is implemented.

by Puff, the Magic Dragon. on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:50 pm

35. ducky

in a little jar, on her desk

;)

by gusface on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:53 pm

36. Latika Bourke
    @latikambourke
    @CUhlmann are you drunk?

by victoria on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:53 pm

37. I like the way the Labor Party is starting to fight :)

It was great to hear Julia calling the opposition useless and that any person she asigns as FM will wipe the floor with Bishop :)

You wait, Labor’s polls are going to go up.

My tip for the next set of polling 47-48 / 53-52 :)

by Centre on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:54 pm

38. Honestly
    What a day
    Confined to quarters due to pouring rain watched everything and found myself watching the 7.30 garbage. Nuff said. I am sure it has already been.

At least I did unlike them some productive other stuff.

by crikey whitey on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:55 pm

39. In less than a year as head of the Media Department with his Minister Dr Moss Cass he transformed the shape of radio via fm, encouraging community groups to set up stations and get licences.

Perfect. Apart from being a liberal shill, Scott has no idea or understanding of public broadcasting. If the poor attempt to mimic commercial television can be quickly dowsed the old girl could still come good.

by joe2 on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:55 pm

40. What has Mr Brodtmann done?

by This little black duck on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:56 pm

41. vic

its rather funny with toolman

tomorrow it will be

I WAZ HACKED

by gusface on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:57 pm

42. Gillard 4 Abbott 2???

vic,

half time Socceroos 1 Saudi 2 = now Gillard 1 Abbott 2

full time Socceroos 4 Saudi 2 = 2013 Gillard 4 Abbott 2

Different game, same score

by The Finnigans on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:58 pm

43. Mod Lib, is a bus a motor vehicle?

One may be happy to call it a motor vehicle.

You are a numbskull, fair dinkum :lol:

by Centre on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:59 pm

44. there are some suggesting on twitter that he has been hacked

by victoria on Feb 29, 2012 at 11:00 pm

45. ducky

discovered he isnt the oracle he thought he was?

by gusface on Feb 29, 2012 at 11:00 pm

46. Centre
    Posted Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Permalink
    Mod Lib, is a bus a motor vehicle?

Yes, good point centre.

by Mod Lib on Feb 29, 2012 at 11:02 pm

47. The Finnigans
    The fact remains when it comes to the soccerwho’s it is

by poroti on Feb 29, 2012 at 11:02 pm

48. The finns

I see

by victoria on Feb 29, 2012 at 11:02 pm

49. gusface,

So Oohmann is tweeting like a drunk?

by This little black duck on Feb 29, 2012 at 11:02 pm

50. gusface

ducky

discovered he isnt the oracle he thought he was?

However Ducky remains the undisputed PB lounge Leveson Senior Correspondent.

by poroti on Feb 29, 2012 at 11:04 pm