Crikey

Morgan face-to-face: 52-48 to Coalition

Last weekend’s Morgan face-to-face survey echoed other polls conducted at the time in showing little change on earlier polling despite Labor’s leadership turmoil, though as always it failed to echo other polls in having Labor’s primary vote several points higher. In this case Labor’s primary vote was up half a point on the previous week to 37.5 per cent, with the Coalition also up a point to 42.5 per cent and the Greens down 3.5 per cent from an anomalous 14.5 per cent last time. As usual with Morgan (though not Nielsen), there was a substantial difference between the two-party preferred results as derived by respondent allocation (52-48 to the Coalition) and using preference flows from the previous election (50-50).

NOTE: Due to server upgrades which will hopefully put an end to Crikey’s notorious technical gremlins, comments will be closed through the entirety of Sunday morning (i.e. about midnight to about noon).

Categories: Federal Politics 2010-2013

2750 Responses

Comments page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 |
  1. Sorry, ShowsOn, I take that back. I’d be a fool to doubt your wisdom.

by Aguirre on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:33 pm

2. Hey Zoomster — are you getting a 2nd opinion? Either way, hope it ain’t too painful!

by jenauthor on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:34 pm

3. zoomster @ 1081

For those that are all interested, after over a year of decreasing mobility (and increasing pain) I have been diagnosed as having necrosis of the femural joint.

In other words, part of my hip bone is dead.

I am indeed sorry to hear that.
    So is there no treatment?

by bemused on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:34 pm

4. geoffrey

I’m very tempted to say
    Dibber dobber
    Sooky sooky la la.

But I won’t.
    I’ve been banned for less.

I can see you’re offended by my remark, that if I was you I would have made sure that I didn’t take a breath at birth, so therefore I apologise.

DTT @ 1087
    Insanity is hereditary. You can get it from your children. :lol:

(Oh, and before you take offence, it was on a birthday card I received, OK!)

by kezza2 on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:35 pm

5. $3 is still long odds in a two horse race.

by DavidWH on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:36 pm

6. FFS

I do not give tuppence for what JG said to Carr on Monday, Tuesday etc. These sort of chats happen. No big deal.

THE ONLY ISSUE is the reaction of Smith and his mates. Get it . THE ONLY issue.

He said she said , did didna is just a waste of time.

Will the reshuffle make people happy? That is the really important thing. On balance not too bad

by daretotread on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:36 pm

7. SBS has some bloke from the Daily Toilet. Seems Bob Carr has been humiliated.

by This little black duck on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:37 pm

8. FFS

Neither do I, but when someone is saying they were there then let’s get the detail from the horse’s mouth so to speak.

by Gary on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:38 pm

9. How did she contact Carr?

Telephone.

by ShowsOn on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:38 pm

10. SBS are priceless. They’ve led with the Carr story, and are getting expert opinion from Simon Benson from the Daily Telegraph. He’s already blathered about how appointing Carr was a face-saving exercise after the debacle earlier in the week. And then he was asked how this is going to affect Ruddstoration! for the next few months.

Nobody would accuse SBS of running an angle on the issue. Nosireebob.

by Aguirre on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:39 pm

11. zoomster

Lots of sympathy from me. Constant pain is so wearying.
    Monitoring doesn’t sound very positive but I suppose Doc will give you help with pain.
    :hugs:

by lizzie on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:40 pm

12. Telephone.

Ok and you heard the conversation how?
    What did she say and/or what did Bob say?
    Were you with the PM or Bob?

by Gary on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:40 pm

13. Kate Lundy will be off to the Olympics. Onya, lady!

One more woman promoted.

by This little black duck on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:40 pm

14. I must admit I felt Oakes was trying to make Carr’s appointment out to be a face saver.

by Gary on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:42 pm

15. zoom

Here’s some good cheer!
    My brother-in-law had the same diagnosis.
    Has had hip-replacement surgery twice now.
    (both hips, that is – not the same one twice)

First in 2009, and the 2nd late last year.
    Both times on a waiting list. No private health insurance.

He’s fine now, fit as a fiddle, back to his concreting job.
    (And he is Type 1 diabetes as well).

All the best, zoom.

by kezza2 on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:42 pm

16. zoomster,
    That sux. :(

by Puff, the Magic Dragon. on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:42 pm

17. Ok and you heard the conversation how?

I was trying to dial out for a pizza at the time but our lines got crossed.

What did she say and/or what did Bob say?

Mr Carr quoted something by Wililam Tecumseh Sherman concerning the battle of Shiloh.

Were you with the PM or Bob?

I was with the P.M.

You’ve only got 2 minutes of speed dating left.

by ShowsOn on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:43 pm

18. Kate Lundy will be off to the Olympics. Onya, lady!

That’s a good enough retirement present. She should quit the Senate after the Olympics so George Williams can be installed.

He would make a great Attorney General.

by ShowsOn on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:44 pm

19. z

There are lots of treatments for AVN of the femoral head. It’s worthwhile seeing an orthopaedic surgeon or two. Sometimes they try drilling to get bone growth or other things.

Joint replacement would be another thing to look at, although they might be a bit reluctant as you are quite young for it.

by Diogenes on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:44 pm

20. Centrebet had Labor at $3.42 this morning, $3.18 this afternoon and now $3.02

No relevance Haydn as no movement in other markets and $3.50 available.
    Evans from Cenrebet is opinionated. He was giving JG $ 2.75 last Monday morning and now $1.33 and he got that arse up thankfully.

by Dr John on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:44 pm

21. I was trying to dial out for a pizza at the time but our lines got crossed.

What ever you’re on Shows I’d take it sparingly.

by Gary on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:45 pm

22. In the quidditch, Australia is about to decide their opponent in the final.

by This little black duck on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:46 pm

23. DavidWH@1091

That’s my point – sane and civilized.

by Tricot on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:46 pm

24. The PM totally has Bowen by the nads. He has been trying to get out of Immigration basically since he was put in Immigration, and yet Gillard has just left him there to fester.

by ShowsOn on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:47 pm

25. Dio, you’re a MB BS FRACS PhD?
    So am I – there are not too many with the sort of letters.

by Oakeshott Country on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:48 pm

26. SO

That was his punishment for backing Rudd; an eternity in Immigration.

by Diogenes on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:49 pm

27. Diog

What’s the age group for HR?

My bro in law was 58 in 2009 for his 1st hip replacement

by kezza2 on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:49 pm

28. What ever you’re on Shows I’d take it sparingly.

I meant PHONE LINES you dork! Not lines of cocaine.

The PM has been around lines of cocaine, but she didn’t inhale.

by ShowsOn on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:50 pm

29. zoomster:

Sorry to hear about your hip.

I hope you can find some kind of treatment option.

by confessions on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:50 pm

30. OC

Dio, you’re a MB BS FRACS PhD?
    So am I – there are not too many with the sort of letters.

There are quite a few in SA. Probably about 15.

I’m actually MS BS (Hons) FRACS PhD

by Diogenes on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:51 pm

31. kezza

You can do a joint replacement at any age but the earlier you do it, the longer it has to last and needs more revisions.

zoomster is just a spring chicken.

by Diogenes on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:53 pm

32. zoomster
    Posted Friday, March 2, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

In other words, part of my hip bone is dead.

My doctor says to just monitor the situation…not a recommendation I’m accepting in the circumstances.

(He also told me not to jog…given I can hardly walk this was met with a bit of puzzlement…)

Havn’t been on PB for a few days but Zoomster please look after yourself

by mari on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:53 pm

33. I was on the audience list for Q&A for Monday but I did not get in. I am on the waiting list.

by Puff, the Magic Dragon. on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:54 pm

34. Excuse me butI can match that with a BA (Hons)
    Why do SA surgeons feel the need for the PhD – surely it makes a very long training period even longer. My PhD is in history – I did it in the 10 years I wound down my practice.

by Oakeshott Country on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:55 pm

35. TLBD @ 1112

This little black duck
    Posted Friday, March 2, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Permalink
    Kate Lundy will be off to the Olympics. Onya, lady!

One more woman promoted.

Surprised she hasn’t been promoted earlier.

She has always impressed me and she absolutely demolished Richard Alston in a debate organised by the Australian Computer Society before the 2004 election when she was (I think) shadow minister for telecommunications (or whatever it was called) i.e. the role Conroy ended up in.

by bemused on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:55 pm

36. OC,
    Does that mean Diogs can only surgerize certain types of trees? :grin:

by Puff, the Magic Dragon. on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:56 pm

37. OC

I definitely can’t match that and I don’t think anyone in SA could.

Lots of people in SA did PhDs when there were bottlenecks getting on to a training scheme.

Of the 25 or so SA plastic surgeons, half would have an MS, MD or PhD.

by Diogenes on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:58 pm

38. Ta, folks (and Diog!)

Confirms my resolve to insist on a referral.

As for a second opinion…this is my third doctor!

by zoomster on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:59 pm

39. Diog

zoomster is just a spring chicken.

Sorry, do not know zoom’s age.
    So, what you are saying is that a hip replacement at an age earlier than 58 (because of my bro’s age) would necessitate further surgery as time passes.

Does that mean my bro will require further surgery?
    In how many years?
    Not that I’m going to tell him.

by kezza2 on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:59 pm

40. You are an idiot Shows,
    The PM was asking you if you wanted to be the Minister for Foreign Cars.

by Puff, the Magic Dragon. on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:59 pm

41. showy @ 1078

YOU are the liar. That much is clear. You were not there.

Fxxk off

by Super on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:59 pm

42. If I may be personal – how many years did you spend between graduation and practice?

by Oakeshott Country on Mar 2, 2012 at 7:00 pm

43. The Big Ship

I did so admire Michelle Grattan.

[ I’d like her to have one last chance.

But I fear you’re correct.

No matter the history, or the previous plaudits won, time waits for no man, or woman, and Michelle Grattan is now manifestly well past her use by date. Time for Fairfax to do the kindest thing for the old warhorse and give her the tap on the shoulder …

Vale the once-great, once-non-partisan Grattan.

Kezza. That’s sadly true. I think part of the problem is that Michelle and Shanahan are probably no longer subbed. They write, the organ publishes.

Michelle has always thought of herself as a player. She has always offered advice, through The Age, The Canberra Times, to any dill PM willing to listen.

“Yes, Michelle, no Michelle …”

The PM has called a halt. Michelle is miffed. She has been side-lined. Her best bet is to wander off and write a book. “It was a dark and …”

by Scringler on Mar 2, 2012 at 7:01 pm

44. Dio

The medical advice is very helpful

Have you a specialty psychiatrist mate. Would be useful on here- for US and for out rants about others :) ,:),:)

by daretotread on Mar 2, 2012 at 7:03 pm

45. kezza

Joint replacements last a variable amount of time. There are too many variables to be able to tell.

Younger people not only live longer but are more active so their replacement does a lot more miles.

I think the newer ones are a good chance of lasting a lifetime.

OC

Eleven years.

by Diogenes on Mar 2, 2012 at 7:05 pm

46. The medical cause celebrate in Singapore may involve the following elements, bearing in mind that any issues remain to be resolved and any legal activity may not be complete:

(1) a surgeon, described as ‘embattled’
    (2) the medical authorities
    (3) a bill of around $24 million for around 9 months of cancer treatment for a member of the royal family of Brunei
    (4) the patient not surviving treatment
    (5) a 50% discount for same
    (6) the sale of a house (just down the road from where we happen to be staying) for a record-breaking $39 million.

by Boerwar on Mar 2, 2012 at 7:07 pm

47. Mate you often don’t get that long for murder

by Oakeshott Country on Mar 2, 2012 at 7:07 pm

48. DavidWH

$3 is still long odds in a two horse race.

It is all in the trend my friend :)

by poroti on Mar 2, 2012 at 7:07 pm

49. Scrings @ 1142

You know what’s so sad, is that it has to be JG to tell her.
    OTOH, I suppose it’s the only way. Woman to Woman.

The reason I say that is because I always though Grattan would know when she’d lost her ability to be fair (betcha some thought I was going to say “marbles’ :lol: )

Actually, I think subs were a bit of a problem in themselves. And also got too big for their own boots.

But, hey, who gives a stuff now, with social media?

by kezza2 on Mar 2, 2012 at 7:09 pm

50. You are an idiot Shows,
    The PM was asking you if you wanted to be the Minister for Foreign Cars.

No, she definitely said Foreign Affairs. But it is possible she just meant going with her on an all expenses paid Contiki tour without mentioning it to Mr Mathieson.

by ShowsOn on Mar 2, 2012 at 7:10 pm