Crikey

Morgan face-to-face: 52-48 to Coalition

Last weekend’s Morgan face-to-face survey echoed other polls conducted at the time in showing little change on earlier polling despite Labor’s leadership turmoil, though as always it failed to echo other polls in having Labor’s primary vote several points higher. In this case Labor’s primary vote was up half a point on the previous week to 37.5 per cent, with the Coalition also up a point to 42.5 per cent and the Greens down 3.5 per cent from an anomalous 14.5 per cent last time. As usual with Morgan (though not Nielsen), there was a substantial difference between the two-party preferred results as derived by respondent allocation (52-48 to the Coalition) and using preference flows from the previous election (50-50).

NOTE: Due to server upgrades which will hopefully put an end to Crikey’s notorious technical gremlins, comments will be closed through the entirety of Sunday morning (i.e. about midnight to about noon).

Categories: Federal Politics 2010-2013

2750 Responses

Comments page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 |
  1. The issue is Katter was a minister in a Joh Govt. It is really very dumb politics for Newman to give Katter the tiniest sniff of a LNP split.

Katter is now after all of the aged Nat votes that will now not vote for the Lib LNP.

Dumb.

by ruawake on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:04 pm

2. Luke Shaw is now the Deputy Registered Officer of Katter’s Australian Party.

by steve on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:04 pm

3. Well, I never.

by William Bowe on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:05 pm

4. What a small world

by mexicanbeemer on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:06 pm

5. I cannot stop :P

by Last name red wombat on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:07 pm

6. 2143 Joe6pack

I really don’t know what to say but why don’t u like me now?

Sorry, Joe, you are fine as far as I am concerned, I do not agree with you politically always but you seem like a reasonable person. Take sex out of it.

by forrest on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:07 pm

7. I’m advised that we’re likely to be closed for comments from midnight tonight until about noon tomorrow.

by William Bowe on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:09 pm

8. Nothing is happening anyway, it’s a slow newsweek.

by steve on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:10 pm

9. Okay usually that only happens when a big story is happening so what does Cricky know that we don’t

It must be Mel challenging Tone ;)

by mexicanbeemer on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:10 pm

10. There are very few QLD’er who are in no doubt of the corruption in the Jo government and can’t see Newman acknowledging that in the proper context having any impact on the election. It’s the reason Labor has governed for muck of the past 25 years even despite the problems those governments have had.

Most people would just say “what, tell us something we don’t know”.

Katter must be desperate to react that silly.

by DavidWH on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:14 pm

11. 12 hours may be a bit optimistic for a DNS change to propagate, some may experience much longer.

by ruawake on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:14 pm

12. Dr John

The whole point with Abbott is that at every opportunity he does not show any decency to the PM whatsoever. His language and characterisation of her is anything but decent

by victoria on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:15 pm

13. j6p

I am quite happy to photo my vote kezza if you think I am just talking rubbish.
    I do not know if it is legal but I will for you if i can.
    Will you do the same for me come federal election?

Of course I trust you.
    Good point re the legality: probably not allowed.

btw, I was just joking re the photo –
    thought you’d remember when I said that if you weren’t a Lib voter, I’d eat my jammies!

by kezza2 on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:15 pm

14. Stay out of the gutter please, Dr John.

by William Bowe on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:16 pm

15. #2156
    So the crackhead gerbil is back on it again

by Last name red wombat on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:16 pm

16. DavidWH

Peter Beattie pushed Joh around in wheelchair. Newman has the political nous of a newt.

by ruawake on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:16 pm

17. Dr John What Tone skeleton are you referring too, maybe have to write it in code?

by mexicanbeemer on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:16 pm

18. The message I’m getting from all this hinting is that Abbott’s family life is a sham and he only wheels wife and/or daughters out to make political points. Perhaps that is completely untrue.
    I wouldn’t have a clue, but I hate the “everybody knows” messages. It leads to imaginings.

by lizzie on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:18 pm

19. Dr John

Victoria what in the hell are you talking about in PB North Korea?

by Dr John on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:19 pm

20. just joking re the photo –

start eating hehe

by Joe6pack on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:20 pm

21. MB, Dr John self-evidently has no idea what he’s talking about, and should not be peddling smears purely on the basis that he would like that believe that they are true.

by William Bowe on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:20 pm

22. Dr John

I obviously dont know what you are talking about either!!!

by victoria on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:20 pm

23. Lizzie this was covered a few weeks back and should not be raised again.

by DavidWH on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:21 pm

24. William – That is why I asked for I have never heard anything suspect about Tone

by mexicanbeemer on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:22 pm

25. David WH just add Nanango to Carl Rackermann and Katter’s Australian Party after that show of Liberal ineptitude. You said you wanted anyone but Bligh but thought you might have been smart enough to not openly campaign for Bob.

by steve on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:22 pm

26. ruawake
    Posted Saturday, March 3, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Permalink
    DavidWH

was one of the worst images on tv.
    I hated joh and the special branch

by Joe6pack on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:24 pm

27. DavidWH

I have nothing to raise.

by lizzie on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:24 pm

28. Kezza

I suggest you curry the jammies – best eat a COTTON pair – nylon’ s not good for you

by daretotread on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:26 pm

29. It would wanna be good. The best steaks are in qld. straight off my bbq.

The best steaks are ALWAYS in Qld! And that’s enough to make me want to go North to visit the rellies again! Well, almost. All the best ones are sadly deceased, as have many of my (contemporary) cousins.

In my gourmet cooking days (when heat, mozzies & blowies made outdoor Q BB’Qs pure hell) I used a Le Creuset cast iron (not enamelled) 12 inch crepe pan on my stove top. Made a superb hot-plate! Seared the steaks outside perfectly, then I’d turn off the plate and let the pan’s sizzling heat do rest of the cooking (for non”bleu” fans). Alternatively, those steak sizzling plates – the best ones also top-class cast iron, with teak wood holders (I still have 4) – do a brilliant job. I looked for them for ages in charity shops. too good to recycle, I guess.

My verandah BBQ is a 2nd hand, genuine 1970s Imperial Japanese Kamado (doubles as a Tandori etc) still in the Imperial Japanese factory colours. I recently found a facsimile of the (missing) Instructions & cook book on the web (pdf). Haven’t used it for ages – about 20 yrs. Needs a little TLC on wood & iron parts trimmings. Son’s TLC’ing it when/ if The Wet’s over.

by OzPol Tragic on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:26 pm

30. Beattie did that for while he was no fan of Joh but he respected him as a fellow Polly, it actually was a nice gesture to see someone on one side of the stick to put a side his politicla view point.

by mexicanbeemer on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:26 pm

31. THE foreman of the hung jury that allowed former premier Joh Bjelke-Petersen to walk free from a perjury trial is the campaign director of the new Australia Party.

Luke Shaw, 40, a key figure in the controversial "Joh's Jury" of 1991, when it was revealed he was a member of the Young Nationals, has joined forces with Independent MP Bob Katter to recruit candidates for Australia's newest political party.

"That Joh thing was 20 years ago - it is like living off schoolboy football," Mr Shaw told The Courier-Mail.

Mr Shaw, then 20, and a "Friends of Joh" member, was foreman in Sir Joh's 1991 Brisbane District Court trial for perjury and was reportedly one of two jurors to hold out for a "not guilty" verdict.

Special prosecutor Doug Drummond in 1992 ruled out a retrial because Sir Joh, then 81, was too old.

"Joh polarised people, either they were for him or against him, but . . . people knew where they stood with him," Mr Shaw said yesterday.

"Not everything was golden back then, but we had an outstanding health system that worked and we had a lot of state assets that were not being sold off."

by ruawake on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:27 pm

32. Na Joe

Beattie was absolutely wise to do that to Joe. Clever and courteous

by daretotread on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:27 pm

33. Steve I have never said I want anyone but Bligh and am very uncomfortable with the Labor strategy to give Katter the balance of power. I would actually prefer a Labor government than one where Katter has the balance of power.

by DavidWH on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:28 pm

34. Dr John

I obviously dont know what you are talking about either!!!

Victoria you should as you replied to a post of mine that William quickly and subsequently removed.

And William I certainly know what I am talking about and why are you qualified to say I have no idea what I am talking about? If you wipe me this site has no credibility at all.

by Dr John on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:29 pm

35. Its all a Bob Ellis beat up. Surely people have seen Tony’s left hand recently?

by ruawake on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:33 pm

36. Dr John

You are the one who had no idea what I was talking about first

by victoria on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:34 pm

37. Lost another post. Lizzie I wasn’t having a go at you and sorry if it came out that way.

by DavidWH on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:34 pm

38. It would wanna be good. The best steaks are in qld. straight off my bbq.

The best steaks are ALWAYS in Qld! And that’s enough to make me want to go North to visit the rellies again! Well, almost. All the best ones are sadly deceased, as are many of my (contemporary) cousins.

In my gourmet cooking days (when heat, mozzies & blowies made outdoor Q BB’Qs pure hell) I used a Le Creuset cast iron (not enamelled) 12 inch crepe pan on my stove top. Made a superb hot-plate! Seared the steaks outside perfectly, then I’d turn off the plate and let the pan’s sizzling heat do rest of the cooking – for the few non”bleu” fans, that is. Alternatively, those steak sizzling plates, the best ones also top-class cast iron, with teak wood holders (I still have 4) – do a brilliant job. I looked for them for ages in charity shops. Too good to recycle, I guess.

My verandah BBQ is a genuine 1970s Imperial Japanese Kamado (doubles as a Tandori etc) still in the Imperial Japanese factory colours. I recently found a facsimile of the (missing) Instructions & cook book on the web (pdf). Haven’t used it for ages – about 20 yrs. Needs a little TLC on wood & iron parts trimmings. Son’s TLC’ing it when/ if The Wet’s over.

by OzPol Tragic on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:34 pm

39. Dr John
    Posted Saturday, March 3, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Permalink
    Dr John

I obviously dont know what you are talking about either!!!

Yep lighten up wb for dogs sake . no one now is abusive. Is their new rules?
    If so you should explain?

by Joe6pack on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:36 pm

40. http://www.thepoliticalsword.com/post/2012/03/03/The-Canberra-Press-Gallery-stumbles-%E2%80%93-yet-again.aspx

The Canberra Press Gallery stumbles – yet again
    Saturday, 3 March 2012 19:52 by Ad astra

After filling so many column inches with stories about PM Gillard’s multiple ‘stumbles’, how embarrassing must it be for so many of the press pack to have themselves made such a monumental stumble this week. Still smarting from having stumbled almost two years ago, being caught flat footed when PM Rudd was replaced by PM Gillard, they found themselves caught yet again on Friday when Julia Gillard arrived at her press conference to announce her reshuffle with Bob Carr in tow. The collective sucking in of breath in astonishment could be heard down the corridors; and minutes later in the breathless and incredulous way they posed their questions.

Worth a look, lengthy analysis of recent coverage

by Leroy on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:37 pm

41. Dr John, I suppose I can’t entirely rule out that you are indeed directly and personally privy to secret information about certain individuals’ private lives, but I happen to doubt it very, very much.

by William Bowe on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:40 pm

42. BW

It is a great pity that it is probably a bridge too far for use in parliament.

Good point.

Of course no such restrictions apply to the Twitterati, bloggers, Bludgers, etc. :wink:

I think it could go viral. Easy to remember as well as being pointed.

by Dan Gulberry on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:40 pm

43. other than that i guess it is willimas blog and he can run it how he sees fit

by Joe6pack on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:41 pm

44. Tomorrow’s Daily Telegraph front page

At the bottom red line says…
    “Another Labor heavyweight says PM tried to dud him”
    “Sam Maiden’s exclusive report”

Will wait and see who’s having a winge.

by Leroy on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:41 pm

45. Joe6pack, the “new rules” to which you refer are spelled out at very great length here.

by William Bowe on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:42 pm

46. This may amouse Bludgers tonight

On the sign out the front of the Subway at Belconnen, ACT tonight:

NEW CARR

SAME OLD DRIVER

NO RUDDER

by AJ Canberra on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:44 pm

47. “amouse”=”amuse”

by AJ Canberra on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:47 pm

48. Sorry about the second post. I didn’t realise the 1st one was posted. The latest browser update is unstable with multi-pages in use. Accidentally hit a page edge, or run the cursor over the edge, closes/ trips the pages, posts!

When the NBN is switched on, it’s internet on an iPad for me.

by OzPol Tragic on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:48 pm

49. The Dees hanging in

by Kinkajou on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:51 pm

50. I want a majority LNP as first choice because Labor deserves to lose on its record and performance.

You’re a newcomer to Queensland who never lived through the JBP or Borbidge stupidity obviously. Nobody sane would wish that on a state’s population.

by steve on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:53 pm