Crikey

Essential Research: 56-44 to Coalition

This week’s Essential Research shows no real change in voting intention on last week, with the Coalition up a point on the primary vote to 49 per cent, Labor and the Greens steady on 31 per cent and 11 per cent, and two-party preferred steady at 56-44. The poll also measures Bob Brown’s approval rating at 42 per cent and disapproval at 34 per cent (including very favourable figures among Labor voters of 60 per cent and 15 per cent); has 31 per cent favouring Kevin Rudd as Labor leader over 16 per cent for Julia Gillard (Gillard leads 40 per cent to 33 per cent among Labor voters); and 30 per cent favouring Malcolm Turnbull as Liberal leader with 23 per cent for Tony Abbott (Abbott leads 39 per cent to 26 per cent among Coalition voters). Further questions on the mining boom have 66 per cent believing it has benefited them “not at all”, 51 per cent supporting the mining tax (down one on mid-March) and 29 per cent opposing it (down five).

Federal preselection happenings in New South Wales:

• The NSW Liberal Party state executive has voted to dump Garry Whitaker as its candidate for Craig Thomson’s seat of Dobell. He has been replaced by Karen McNamara, a WorkCover public servant who reportedly has backing from the party’s right, who was defeated by Whitaker in the original preselection vote in December. Whitaker has since been struggling with allegations he had lived for several years without council permission in an “ensuite shed” on his Wyong Creek property while awaiting approval to build a house there.

• More proactivity from the NSW Liberal state executive in neighbouring Robertson, a seat the party was disappointed not to have won in 2010. Local branches have had imposed upon them Lucy Wicks, who herself holds a position on the executive by virtue of her status as president of the party’s Women’s Council. Wicks was identified by the Sydney Morning Herald last year as a member of the “centre right” faction associated with federal Mitchell MP Alex Hawke, which in alliance with the moderates had secured control of the state executive. Like the Dobell intervention, the imposition of Wicks occurred at the insistence of Tony Abbott – local branches in both seats have called emergency meetings to express their displeasure.

Michelle Hoctor of the Illawarra Mercury reports Ann Sudmalis, the candidate backed by retiring member Joanna Gash, won Liberal preselection on Saturday in Gilmore with 16 votes against 10 for her main rival Andrew Guile. Rounding out the field were Alby Schultz’s son Grant, who scored four votes, and Meroo Meadow marketing consultant Catherine Shields on one. For those wondering about the small number of votes, the NSW Liberals’ preselection procedure involves branches being allocated a number of selection committee delegates in proportion to their membership, rather than a massed rank-and-file ballot.

Imre Salusinszky of The Australian reports the Nationals are in the “‘initial stages’ of discussions with popular independent state MP Richard Torbay about endorsing him for a tilt at independent federal MP Tony Windsor in New England”. Torbay has been the independent member for Northern Tablelands since 1999, and served as Legislative Assembly Speaker during Labor’s last term in office.

Categories: Federal Politics 2010-2013

5940 Responses

Comments page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 |
  1. either way all this does is fuel the perception that Labor are out of touch and heading for perhaps the greatest Australian political defeat in history.

by Gary Sparrow on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:10 pm

2. TLBD – Little Murdoch tomorrow, Rupert sched for Wed and if required Thurs.

It will be interesting to watch them by themselves wit no one to wisper in their ears.

by CTar1 on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:10 pm

3. Gary Sparrow
    Posted Monday, April 23, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Permalink
    Puff the difference is unlike the left we conservatives think people deserve the RIGHT not to vote.

I believe if you don’t vote you can’t complain but people shouldn’t be forced to vote.

Also I believe we should have optional preferential voting.

Im with you Gary. Its a disgrace that we must vote.

The issue with rocking up, signing and then nicking off, is that it is considered a duty (unless I am mistaken) when you become a citizen. They don’t say you have to rock up, they say you have to vote.

Of course, there is nothing they can do and no way they can find you if you put an empty ballott in the box, but not being caught is not the same as not doing something wrong.

by Mod Lib on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:10 pm

4. What is up with Senator Edwards?
    Wikipedia to the rescue-

In August 2011 it was reported in News Limited media that the Department of Finance had sought reimbursement from Edwards over the misuse of three government-funded cars. Edwards' wife later apologised for the event and confirmed that they would reimburse the cost. Media outlets also reported that Edwards was being investigated by the Department of Finance over the employment, in his parliamentary office, of an executive of a company he chaired before entering parliament

Obviously that is the sanitised ‘we ain’t done nuffin wrong’ version.

by leone on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:11 pm

5. vic

"Senator Sean Edwards has a misleading and deceptive conduct complaint working its way through the courts in South Australia at the moment, he continues to sit on Parliamentary committees,"

Good for the goose etc.

by ruawake on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:11 pm

6. Boerwar: the only problem is, if you look at those SMSes, you can see that Ashby was giving back as good as he got.

I certainly, from reading them, didn’t get a sense that one was the boss and the other was an employee necessarily (as far as tone goes). Ashby was clearly assertive and at times seemed very engaged in terms of his relationship with Slipper.

Given that this is what he has offered to support his own case, I would suggest there was much more that occurred that would NOT be supportive of his case, namely that he kept the fires burning, so to speak, in order to further his own political interests.

In terms of the “you look fat in that” (to paraphrase) exchange, it came across to me as teasing, rather than vindictive. If you have a certain sort of relationship with your boss/employee, you can get away with that, especially in politics where people work closely together in often warts-and-all circumstances.

The other thing that has been bothering me is, as one who has had many years’ experience in politics, I haven’t known one person who has turned down a job in politics (if they were currently outside of it) if they have political aspirations. I’ve known people to leave jobs where they were paid far more in order to get their foot in the door, so to speak.

The very idea of a politically-engaged person turning down a job not once, but twice, only to then say yes either means they were about to be sacked in their current job or they took the job for some other reason.

No, there is a lot more to this whole situation than meets the eye, and I suspect Vexnews is currently closest to the mark – pretty much in line with the comments I read on the first day.

by Danny Lewis on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:12 pm

7. Thanks leone.

Of course, nothing wrong when the fibs do anything

by victoria on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:12 pm

8. Compulsory Voting
    Updated: 18 May 2011
    History of compulsory voting in Australia
    Compulsory enrolment for federal elections was introduced in 1912
    Compulsory voting for state elections was introduced in Queensland in 1915
    Compulsory voting at federal elections was introduced in 1924.
    Arguments used in favour of compulsory voting
    Voting is a civic duty comparable to other duties citizens perform e.g. taxation, compulsory education, jury duty

from the AEC website:

It is compulsory for you to vote, not just rock up.

If you fold the ballot in half behind the curtain and put it in the box without letting anyone see that it is blank you will get away with it, but you are breaking the law!

Oops (I am a felon!)

by Mod Lib on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:14 pm

9. Here’s a less sanitised story about Senator Edwards.
    What was it David Speers was saying about sleaze?

by leone on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:14 pm

10. And here’s Senator Edwards trying to deflect attention

by leone on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:15 pm

11. Well, surprise suprise, ML and GS, earnest and supporters of upper class theft from the poor, think it is a disgrace that the poor have to vote. Such nobility. Naturally they did not support the idea of the Coalition putting the Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan wars to a popular free vote before we went to war.

Strange, that.

The upper class cannot even admit that it is an upper class.

by Boerwar on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:16 pm

12. Pegasus
    Posted Monday, April 23, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

Think Big

Did a majority of the house (not just the ALP) vote him in?

Slipper was the only nomination put forward by Labor for speaker.

There was no vote on the floor of the parliament

So can we take it from that that you are conceding that Bandt’s hands aren’t entirely clean? He didn’t nominate anyone for Speaker either.

On that logic, Pyne is the only one with clean hands. He at least tried others, except that he refused to nominate anyone from his own side.

by Gorgeous Dunny on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:16 pm

13. pseudo-Libertarian cloke

Wasn’t he a VFL player who kept wacking whoever was nearest him on the field?

by CTar1 on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:16 pm

14. I see Mr Newman baldy is promising to freeze electricity prices in QLD for, you guess it, 1 year.

Hello Mr Politician, my Electricity bills already going down due to the change in habbit!!

Perhaps Mr Politician change theirs, we get better deals!

by zoidlord on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:17 pm

15. Denis Shanahan ‏ @DenisShanahan1
    Exquisite from Tony to arrange a tummy tickle with @CUhlmann. Brilliant. No one will question why now & not when there's policy to discuss!

Ooooh, I like this!

by lizzie on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:18 pm

16. mari
    Hee heee.
    It’s a shame my cat doesn’t travel, or I’d bring her along to our meeting. You would learn that her full title – She Who Must Be Obeyed – ensures that the only animal cuelty around here is the stuff she inflicts on me, her devoted and subservient staff member.

by leone on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:18 pm

17. Labor rigged the nominations

Good grief! I’m surprised some of you hacks remember to breathe!

by Carey Moore on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:18 pm

18. lizzie
    Is that the real Shanahan saying that?

by BK on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:19 pm

19. BK

I’m afraid I don’t know. First thought was shamahan. But I still likeit!

by lizzie on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:20 pm

20. I wouldn’t mind the upper class so much if they would only just stop pretending that they have the interests of the poor at heart.

Are you referring to the NSW right here?

by Mod Lib on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:21 pm

21. lizzie

Carrying the Limited News fight of AFR to Mr Abbott as well?

by guytaur on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:21 pm

22. No, it’s a fake :)

by lizzie on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:21 pm

23. DL

You could be right. Had I received those emails and the two players identified by (a) boss and (b) employee my chief concern as a senior manager would be that the relaionship evolved over time. How much time, I don’t know. This was one of the reasons why I referred to changing relationships in an earlier post.

It is a very tricky area. IMHO, the onus is on the powerful to be ultra-mindful of their power.

The Advancee might interpret early contacts as being sort of OK. Later contacts might escalate. The Advancee has sort of OKed the earlier contacts but feels very uncomfortable with the follow up contacts. It becomes difficult mid-way, as it were, to reset what has become a personal relationship in a workplace context.

by Boerwar on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:22 pm

24. BK:

this is “Denis Shanahan1′s” twitter profile

I interpret Newspoll for the Liberal Party. I mean, for The Australian. Views expressed here are strictly fed to me by Tony Abbott

by sprocket_ on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:22 pm

25. Abbot is the leader of a lynch mob

That, to me, is the crux of the the Slipper matter. Just like how John Howard
    played pied piper to racists and bigots, Tony Abbott is now inciting the followers
    of rabid shock-jocks to even greater extremes.

It is almost time for the interview with Mr Abbott on the ABC 7.30 segment. Will record it, but have to cook minestrone soup.

by Scringler on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:25 pm

26. Ah, thanks sprocket_

by BK on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:25 pm

27. Boerwar

It’s been downhill ever since we paid politicians a decent wage…lol!

Before you had to be a wealthy land owner to get into Parliament because no poor bugger could afford to live on the wage.

by Gary Sparrow on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:25 pm

28. ML
    Nice try. No I was referring to the Coalition’s core upper class constituency, its running dogs in so-called think tanks, and anyone who pretends to be concerned for poor Australians in principle at the same time as, in practical terms, they seek to screw the poor.
    These are the sort of people who are concerned than any real climate action action might mean that they have to pay a price for their devastation of everyone else’s planet. They think it is fine for poor women to subside filthy rich women to have nannies and mannies. They think it is fine to start wars and then send the poorer elements of society to do the dirty work. They think it is fine for governments to subsidise rich schools to the cost of poor schools when everyone knows that there is a direct relationship between the wealth of schools and education outcomes.

It is not that the upper classes don’t know this stuff. Of course they do. They live their lives by it. The thing that is particularly galling about this screw-you attitude is that the upper class pretends ignorance about it while mouthing libertarian platitudes.

by Boerwar on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:27 pm

29. Re Mr Slipper it seems to me that the record of text messages seem rather innocuous. Most of the “meat” offered by Mr Ashby to support his case is a ” I said, he said ” record of conversations.

In the absence of a third party witness to any of those supposed conversations how strong a case would Mr Ashby have if Mr Slipper denies the content of the conversations ?

Is there a burden of proof required by Mr Asby and if so how strong ?

by Doyley on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:27 pm

30. leone

one of our cats is a God.

He enjoys the role very much.

This comes from a lolcat poster of a dog and a cat curled up on a rug.

The dog is thinking: They feed me, they care for me, they love me, they must be God.

The cat is thinking: They feed me, they care for me, they love me, I must be God.

by zoomster on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:28 pm

31. Glen

I thought you were a first past the post type of guy, why the reversion to OPV?

by ruawake on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:29 pm

32. GS
    We don’t pay politicians a decent wage. The best and the brightest are in the private sector. We do have too many legal persons in our parliaments. Perhaps there should be a quota – no more than 10% of reps in any party is allowed to have any legal qualifications. Ditto, only 10% of any representatives are allowed to have worked previously for the parties… etc, etc.

But we definitely do not pay them enough. They get peanuts for the organisation they run and the size of the budget.

But I would pay the Coalition politicians less every time they get us into a war. That should mean we don’t spend 30% of our time at war, as we have since federation.

by Boerwar on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:31 pm

33. Scringler

Rest your outrage. Remember Mal colston? Abbott is just following the Labor play book to the letter, so play what ever tune you like to keep your self happy but Labor played the flute first

by rummel on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:31 pm

34. Any of u watching ulmans show
    If any thing happens of note please say

Did i read its pre recoded,,

by my say on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:31 pm

35. Remember the putrid Coalition effort to slime High Court judge Michael Kirby ? They really do have form.

by poroti on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:32 pm

36. yay the anagrams are (almost all) great folks

Now, for evenings when things get out of hand here, how about this one in honour of our host:

“Mail Bile? Wow!”

by Marrickville Mauler on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:32 pm

37. leone
    Posted Monday, April 23, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Permalink
    mari
    Hee heee.

Love it, but I though She Who Must be Obeyed only applied to a certain ex PM wife? But I do like a cat who knows the exalted place she occupies

by mari on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:32 pm

38. dog is thinking: They feed me, they care for me, they love me, they must be God.

ruawake Posted Monday, April 23, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Glen

I thought you were a first past the post type of guy, why the reversion to OPV?

by my say on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:32 pm

39. Labor played the flute first

Idiot.

by ruawake on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:33 pm

40. Odear two posts got in my paste

Sorry zoomster i was going to say love the god story,, ou dog r thinks he is god, and master , and keeper of the area but if we where robbed he would help’carry the loot out.’

by my say on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:35 pm

41. There used to be a car around here with “Dogs have masters – Cats have servants” on its bumper.

by CTar1 on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:35 pm

42. So when Howard enticed Coulston to vote to sell Telstra it was all a Labor flute playing exercise?

Idiot.

Hounded the man to the grave. Mission accomplished.

A softer kinder Governement eh labor hypocrites.

by rummel on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:35 pm

43. Boerwar
    Posted Monday, April 23, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Judging by your post, your were indeed talking about the NSW Right!

I understand that there is the idea that the ALP is some magical party from heaven, that comes down to Earth by God’s grace, to bestow upon us poor Earthlings a little bit of justice, purity and all things wholesome.

You could pass this on to the local daycare and/or kindergarten constituency.

Some of us have been around for a while. We remember that ALP guy beaten up in the 80s, the NSW bully boys, the union hacks who use members dues to live the high life, the ALP Ministers who rant and rave about private schools while sending their children there, the ALP Prime Ministers who argue for a policy of rendition for women and children seeking asylum here.

I am very happy to grant you that there are a large number of black marks on the history of the Liberal Party. Absolutely. However, there are black marks on the history of the ALP as well, thats the point where so many here fall in a heap!

by Mod Lib on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:36 pm

44. There was an 182 page interim report into GST released today. Did any political journalist mention it?

by ruawake on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:37 pm

45. U know i coiuld be wrong but can any one tell me over the years has labor
    Ever gone looking for skeletons ,

by my say on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:38 pm

46. rua

by Puff, the Magic Dragon. on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:39 pm

47. Hounded the man to the grave. Mission accomplished.

Lower than a snakes shithole – no wonder you vote for the shitholes party.

by ruawake on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:39 pm

48. Uhlman actually earning his pay tonight

by guytaur on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:40 pm

49. Mysay

U know i coiuld be wrong but can any one tell me over the years has labor
    Ever gone looking for skeletons ,

Yep, ask keven Rudd how he feels.

by rummel on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:40 pm

50. Was there? First I have heard of it. But then again I don’t buy the paper, silly me.

Yep only two ex premiers worked on it, Brumby and Greiner of course have lost there pulling power.

by ruawake on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:41 pm