Crikey

Newspoll: 59-41 to Coalition

Word on Twitter is that Newspoll has the Coalition’s two-party lead out from 56-44 to 59-41, from primary votes of 27% for Labor (down two) and 51% for the Coalition (up three). But for a 26% result in the September 16-18 poll, this would be the lowest primary vote Labor had ever recorded since Newspoll commenced in 1985. The two-party figure ranks as the Gillard government’s equal worst result, along with the poll of September 2-4. Newspoll hasn’t always reported two-party preferred results, but my own calculations tell me there remain unbroken records from the respective honeymoon periods of Rudd (63-37 in February/March 2008) and Howard (60.5-39.5 in April 1996). Julia Gillard is up a point on disapproval to 63% and steady on approval at 28%, while Tony Abbott is down two on approval to 33% and up one on disapproval to 55%. Tony Abbott has widened the preferred prime minister lead he gained in the previous poll, from 41-39 to 41-36. As always, the sample for the poll was around 1150, with a margin of error of 3%.

Categories: Federal Politics 2010-2013

6396 Responses

Comments page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 |
  1. C@tmomma

I did learn today that little Chrissy Pyne does like a drink and he can become quite the life of the party

I’m thinking, as they said in the olden days, a “Two pot screamer”

by poroti on May 1, 2012 at 10:10 pm

2. and he can become quite the life of the party

And in the vino the veritas of desire comes out. Mr Ashby might not like to be under oath and, much less if he be, his interlocutor.

by This little black duck on May 1, 2012 at 10:10 pm

3. Thankyou dan ithought so
    So should they all close their doors tomorrow,

by my say on May 1, 2012 at 10:11 pm

4. guytaur

Lateline should be good. They usually get Tom Watson on.

I’d imagine Mr Watson’s diary would be pretty full at the moment. media-wise.

by Dan Gulberry on May 1, 2012 at 10:12 pm

5. said for me, u can please yourself

my say,

just teasing.

by Scarpat on May 1, 2012 at 10:12 pm

6. poroti@2000,
    A 2 pot Screaming what? ;)

by C@tmomma on May 1, 2012 at 10:12 pm

7. Interesting that the report argues lack of corporate governance.

I know it won’t happen , I just wanted to write it !

by Doyley on May 1, 2012 at 10:12 pm

8. News has a report now but it’s just an AP one.

by Diogenes on May 1, 2012 at 10:13 pm

9. I am watching story of simon and garfuncle

Remind me of bridge over troubled water n

by my say on May 1, 2012 at 10:13 pm

10. so what are the next steps from here? and what are the ramifications for News Ltd – Aust?

by middle man on May 1, 2012 at 10:14 pm

11. Not quite the knighthood for rupey. Hey, what was that story that Rupey was recommended for a knighthood and the Queen struck his name from the list. Something about would rather give the gong to the corgie’s droppings.

by Puff, the Magic Dragon. on May 1, 2012 at 10:14 pm

12. Good enough for the government to seek to place a administrator into HSU East due to lack of corporate governance or similar why not News ?

Indeed.

As I said earlier, all the evidence is there wrt News, the govt just needs to move.

by confessions on May 1, 2012 at 10:14 pm

13. Thank you My Say, include Poroti too

poroti
    Posted Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Permalink
    mari

Just in case I gave you the impression my school was all “classical music’ Here is our haka.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIi7O83LoUY

I love the Haka I am staying with a couple in 2 weeks time he is a Maori and loves the Haka played topline Footie so knows what he is about, a really big fellow and as gentle as a lamb the rest of the time

The Finnigans having trouble getting onto twitter you mentioned a DM do you still want one

All in all a great night and Thank DG 1997 re retweeting the Hallelujah Chorus on Twitter

by mari on May 1, 2012 at 10:15 pm

14. It might help the News shareholders who want to sell off the newspapers.

by Diogenes on May 1, 2012 at 10:15 pm

15. “Two pot screamer”?

One pint. What a cheap drunk.

Anyone got his e-mail address? I might just do a bit of fluffing. No malice, of course, Alice!

by This little black duck on May 1, 2012 at 10:15 pm

16. Apparently News Limited doesn’t do 24 online news coverage anymore. No news in any of its papers about the U.K. happenings.

by Scarpat on May 1, 2012 at 10:15 pm

17. Scrapcat

I wondered but i dont like imposing my thoughts on others i just think out loud

:-) :-) :-) :-)

by my say on May 1, 2012 at 10:15 pm

18. I know this has been posted before, but anyone who has not read Tom Watson’s statement should do so. And just imagine if these actions could occur here.

by sprocket_ on May 1, 2012 at 10:15 pm

19. Dan

Watson knows an interview in Australia has to happen. Most likely to do live television than newspaper. Better impact and he wants to make an impact in Australia. I think the whole committee do from their press conference.

by guytaur on May 1, 2012 at 10:16 pm

20. Wonder what price NWS will open at in the New York Stock Exchange. Any more than 5% and rupes n James are gone…

by Rossmore on May 1, 2012 at 10:16 pm

21. We will know Rupert Murdoch has become political kryptonite & has lost his powers when politicians start refusing his invitations for a chat.

by C@tmomma on May 1, 2012 at 10:16 pm

22. ducky
    c.pyne.mp@aph.gov.au

by BK on May 1, 2012 at 10:17 pm

23. I feel like crying i havent been this happy since baby and daughter pulled through
    The depression that this one person has caused so many people even just us

I stop there

by my say on May 1, 2012 at 10:17 pm

24. this is the one time i wouldn’t mind the poms thinking Australia is still their domain and wanting to butt in!

by middle man on May 1, 2012 at 10:17 pm

25. @jonaholmesMW @abcmarkscott When is #MediaWatch going to do a big expose of Murdoch’s #RegimeChange and lies here via Oz, DT, HS etc #auspol

by The Finnigans on May 1, 2012 at 10:18 pm

26. LL in 15. Now, let us see what makes the news.

by This little black duck on May 1, 2012 at 10:18 pm

27. tom_watson (@tom_watson)
    5/1/12 9:44 PM
    here’s my statement at the press conference to publish our committee’s report: bit.ly/IkuT86

by Rossmore on May 1, 2012 at 10:18 pm

28. Diogenes,

Intresting that the first murdoch report is from the only paper he owned , that got him rise to abused power.

by Schnappi on May 1, 2012 at 10:18 pm

29. TLBD@2014,
    Don’t all MPs have an @aph.gov.au e-mail address that goes
    1st name.surname.mp@aph.gov.au?

by C@tmomma on May 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm

30. “The Wall St J is a lot more circumspect.”

To paraphrase, they would be, wouldn’t they. As one would expect, given that they are owned by K.R.Murdoch.

I watched about thirty seconds of rubbish on Sky tonight called The Murray Report or somesuch and you would have to travel a very, very, long way to find a group more pro Coalition. Yes, they made some lively japes and the bearded one – the ringleader I assume – made some sonorous noises about “looking into it” but they basically gave Pyne a clean bill of health. Based on their gut feelings. And, no doubt, some pretty clear riding instructions from the corner office.

by Roy Orbison on May 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm

31. The Times, which Rupie owns, buckets him.

Murdoch ‘is not fit to run big company’

Rupert Murdoch is “not a fit person to exercise the stewardship of a major international company”, according to MPs on a parliamentary committee. The News Corporation chairman “turned a blind eye and exhibited wilful blindness” if “at all relevant times he did not seek to become fully informed about…

We await something from the OO…

by Diogenes on May 1, 2012 at 10:20 pm

32. Space Kidette ‏ @SpaceKidette

Any legal people know if Rupert and James found to be unfit in U.K does that make them unfit under U.S. corporate law? #auspol #murdochracy

by Space Kidette on May 1, 2012 at 10:21 pm

33. BK,

I couldn’t. It would have to be gentle hand to hand and “those eyes”!

There are limits to what I will do for my country.

by This little black duck on May 1, 2012 at 10:21 pm

34. Tom Watson has to get a Ministry in the next UK Labour Government. I don’t even think he is a Shadow at the moment.

by C@tmomma on May 1, 2012 at 10:22 pm

35. The Times, which Rupie owns, buckets him.

Maybe it remembers the days when it was the English newspaper of reference…

by Scarpat on May 1, 2012 at 10:22 pm

36. SK. i want to know if it applies under oz law too! please let it be so.

by middle man on May 1, 2012 at 10:22 pm

37. And finally the Triumphal march of Aida by Verdi of good over evil

mari – just got back from meeting to the joyous sounds :)

by BH on May 1, 2012 at 10:22 pm

38. Schnappi

Thankyou Schnappi! :)

We have been spreading this little Rabbott piece around the internet.
    Do your bit & spread it too.

After all that excitement,will you guys listen to a 20 second video.;

by Dee on May 1, 2012 at 10:22 pm

39. C@tmomma,

Sybil.

Contact with the enemy will be only in extremis.

by This little black duck on May 1, 2012 at 10:23 pm

40. Maybe the Times sees the writing on the wall…..

by middle man on May 1, 2012 at 10:23 pm

41. hnappi Posted Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

After all that excitement,will you guys listen to a 20 second video.;

Thanks schanppi

Whers tony does he know

by my say on May 1, 2012 at 10:23 pm

42. Thanks for the link, Sprocket.

Powerful stuff indeed from Watson:

These people corrupted our country. They brought shame on our police force and our Parliament. They lied and cheated, blackmailed and bullied. We should all be ashamed when we think how we cowered before them for so long.

But to really stop requires more than tokenistic retribution. It needs conclusive attribution. The very cornerstone of justice is that those really responsible are held to account – that the rich and the powerful are as low in the face of the law as the most humble and weak.

In the words of Bob Dylan, “that the ladder of law has no top and no bottom”.

And everybody in the world knows who is responsible for the wrongdoing of News Corp: Rupert Murdoch. More than any individual alive, he is to blame. Morally, the deeds are his. He paid the piper and he called the tune.

It is his company, his culture, his people, his business, his failures, his lies, his crimes. The price for his profits and his power.

by Bushfire Bill on May 1, 2012 at 10:24 pm

43. “I would love to know if David Cameron is still reading his e-mails, taking his phone calls or meeting when Rupert is in the UK.”

My money is on hiding under his desk. Or using the cone of silence. Or walking down the corridor wearing a Groucho Marx disguise. Anything but making contact with Keithy.

by Roy Orbison on May 1, 2012 at 10:24 pm

44. Tom Watson has to get a Ministry in the next UK Labour Government. I don’t even think he is a Shadow at the moment.

Perhaps he is THE Shadow:

by Scarpat on May 1, 2012 at 10:24 pm

45. Sic transit gloria murdochia!

by This little black duck on May 1, 2012 at 10:24 pm

46. Any Libettes here tonight?

by This little black duck on May 1, 2012 at 10:26 pm

47. Sic transit gloria murdochia

He has a daughter called Gloria?

by Scarpat on May 1, 2012 at 10:27 pm

48. Gillard’s last act before the inevitable should be to start the unstoppable ball rolling re the media in this country. As far as I can see, there is absolutely nothing stopping her.

I would not put it past her. Nothing to lose, and putting Murdoch senior out of business would be a lasting legacy.

I’d go for a Royal Commission (haven’t had one for a while) – similar themes to what Leveson and the Brit Parliament pursued. To answer the question of have criminal or unethical activities been perpetrated by any NewsLtd outlet; and to put the onus of proof on NewsLtd as to why they should not be required to divest these outlets.

by sprocket_ on May 1, 2012 at 10:27 pm

49. Now… just how to get News before the beak here in Australia….

by Bushfire Bill on May 1, 2012 at 10:27 pm

50. If our media pushes this to the side the we KNOW that the fix is in.

by This little black duck on May 1, 2012 at 10:27 pm