Galaxy: 54-46 to Coalition

A poll of federal voting intention from Galaxy comes in at the lower end of Labor’s recent form, and offers some rather murky findings on the AWU affair.

GhostWhoVotes reports Galaxy has plugged a hole in the Newspoll and Nielsen schedules with a federal poll conducted from 1015 respondents on Wednesday and Thursday (UPDATE: Make that Thursday and Friday – The Management). The result is at the low end of Labor’s recent form, with the Coalition leading 48% to 34% on the primary vote and 54-46 on two-party preferred, compared with 47% to 35% and 53-47 in the Galaxy poll of a month ago. The Greens vote is steady on 11%.

Galaxy also grapples with the AWU matter, with what to my mind are problematic results. Poll questions are most effective when gauging basic affective responses, namely positive or negative feelings towards a person or thing, and mutually exclusive choices, such as preferences out of political parties or election candidates. On this score, the best question to emerge so far has been Morgan’s effort on approval or disapproval of the Prime Minister’s handling of the controversy. Difficulties emerge where the range of potential opinions is open-ended, as too much depends on the choices offered by the pollster.

A case in point is Galaxy’s question on whether Gillard had “lied” (31%), been “open and honest” (21%) or, as a middle course, been “economical with the truth” (31%). Particularly where complex or half-understood issues are involved, choices like this are known to activate the strategy of “satisficing” (“choosing the easiest response because it requires less thinking”, according one of the pithier definitions available). This results in a bias towards intermediate responses, in this case the “economical with the truth” option.

I have similar doubts about Galaxy’s question as to whether respondents believed Gillard “should provide a full account of her involvement through a statement in parliament”, an over-elaborate proposition that feels tailored towards eliciting a positive response. Sixty per cent of respondents duly gave it one, although it is clear the thought would have occurred to few of them before being put to them by the interviewer. Only 26% offered that such a statement was unnecessary, with 14% undecided.

Then there is the finding that 26% of respondents said the issue had made them less likely to vote Labor. Like any such question, this would have attracted many positive responses from those whose pre-existing chance of voting Labor was zero. However, the question at least allows us to compare the results to those of similarly framed questions in the past. In July, a Galaxy poll found that 33% were less likely to vote Labor because of the budget. In January, 39% of respondents to a Westpoll survey said power price hikes had made them less likely to vote for the Barnett government. In July of last year, The Australian reported polling by UMR Research (commissioned, it must be noted, by Clubs Australia) had 23% of voters less likely to vote Labor due to mandatory pre-commitment for poker machines. And a month after Kevin Rudd was deposed as Prime Minister in June 2010, Nielsen found the proportion saying they were less likely to vote Labor as a result was similar to today’s finding: 25%.

UPDATE: GhostWhoVotes reports News Limited has published a further result from the Galaxy poll, a four-way preferred prime minister question which has Kevin Rudd on 27%, Malcolm Turnbull on 23%, Julia Gillard on 18% and Tony Abbott on 17%.

confessions
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Musing on the tragedy facing Abbott and the msm.

You miss the point. It’s all Gillard’s fault. If only she didn’t focus on abstract issues like sexism and misogyny there’d be no problem.

bemused
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Hahahahaha…
    confessions 1049 followed by my 1050 says it all.

zoomster
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

Loved this quote (from the Bartlett article linked to by Leroy above) –

dismissing critics like me for being “the reality-based community.”

Henry
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

bemused@1043

Henry@1038

Slightly hamfisted response. Apologies.
    My interactions with the people I know tell me that Julia is winning a grudging respect out there in the electorate.
    I work in that great labor heartland (cue the lols), greater western sydney, and have have slowly seen over time the masses slowly but surely coming over to Julia.
    They used to hate her, now they aren’t sure about her. The perception is changing with these bogans (and yes they are bogans).
    It’s a slow burn but it is happening.
    bemused@1030

Henry@1023
    The other thing is, my experiences match, as best I can estimate, that poll.

As do mine.

Huh? How can that be when you are disputing the poll?

I cannot say it is correct, just that it seems plausible.

Henry
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

apologies for the weird quoting.

Henry
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

bemused@1043

Henry@1038

bemused@1030

Henry@1023
    The other thing is, my experiences match, as best I can estimate, that poll.

As do mine.

Huh? How can that be when you are disputing the poll?

I cannot say it is correct, just that it seems plausible.

Slightly hamfisted response. Apologies.
    It’s a slow burn but it is happening

bemused
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

Henry@1054

bemused@1043

Henry@1038

Slightly hamfisted response. Apologies.
    It’s a slow burn but it is happening.
    bemused@1030

Henry@1023
    The other thing is, my experiences match, as best I can estimate, that poll.

As do mine.

Huh? How can that be when you are disputing the poll?

I cannot say it is correct, just that it seems plausible.

I think you got tricked by the quick post but I think I sorted it out.

The people I mix with are not bogans although I occasionally encounter some by accident.

Anyway, I think we can both be assured we don’t meet a random sample.

I am just going by the vehemence of people I would have expected to be fairly moderately one way or the other. It is really rather alarming.

confessions
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

Australian families will save $250 every year on their electricity bills under a plan unveiled by Prime Minister Julia Gillard.

Ms Gillard today announced she would be taking her plan to State premiers at next week’s Council of Australian Governments in Canberra.

The strategy will address the “real drivers” of high power prices such as the over investment - or “gold plating” - of Australia’s electricity network, Ms Gillard said.

Great stuff, announced earlier today. I see that the opps are opposed. WTF?

bemused
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

Henry, we need to start a new thread :P

confessions
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

Hahahahaha…
    confessions 1049 followed by my 1050 says it all.

Good grief you really are unhinged.

cud chewer
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

Good to see the “$250″ power saving end up on the front page.

A couple of things that concern me about this debate though.

First, there is a danger confusing “gold plating” with sensible upgrades.

Second, I would have really preferred to hear more about how solar will meet the needs of the hottest days of the year and thus be the thing that saves billions on the grid.

bemused
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

cud chewer@1061

Good to see the “$250″ power saving end up on the front page.

A couple of things that concern me about this debate though.

First, there is a danger confusing “gold plating” with sensible upgrades.

There are quite a lot of issues that need to be sorted out so I will be most interested in the detail. I made some comments earlier today on this.

Thornleigh Labor Man
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

I wonder if Julia and Tim do their bit to cut down on electricity usage at The Lodge or Kirribilli House? :lol:

Thornleigh Labor Man
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Bemused: I think you’re always fighting a losing battle here, but I admire your courage and persistance in swimming against the tide, so to speak.

C@tmomma
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

DUMPED 2UE radio host Mike Smith finally had something to smile about – tying the knot with the love of his life Katarina Kroslakova in a wedding bash with a difference at Bells hotel in Killcare.

:mad: If only I’d known they were there on December 11,2011, I would have walked through the bush to Bells and let down the tires on their ‘Stretch Limo’. Or thrown some tin tacks on the dance floor under ‘twinkle Toes’ Brandis’ feet. :D

davidwh
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Bemused from earlier this evening. There is a good chance both you and my family may have reason to be pleased with me in 2013. Although I may yet get the chance to vote for PalmerInc :)

C@tmomma
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

I see Thornleigh Rudd Man is still pining for the Pixie Fjords.

Obviously didn’t see Insiders today. :)

bemused
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

davidwh@1066

Well then where would your preference go :D

davidwh
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

I was only kidding on PalmerInc. I could never vote for his party but assuming I was to then I think you and the family would be happy with my preference.

It’s a bit ugly at present.

Thornleigh Labor Man
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

INSIDERS stopped being relevant when Barry Cassidy was allowed to indulge in his self-indulgent spat with Kevin Rudd.

Marrickville Mauler
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

(contemplates wasting tiny amount of electricity trying to educate TLM and decides against)

bemused
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

Marrickville Mauler@1071

Wise choice.

Henry
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

Fair point Bemused. Still find this quotation thing with PB hard to get used to.
    Bottom line, Julia is winning respect. Long way to go and this power rebate will placate the bogans somewhat but still some steps forward to be made.
    The boat people is the last piece in the puzzle for the bogans out west (Sydney).

Sohar
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

Thomas Keneally interviewed in the Guardian/Observer today:

“It’s OK to be one of those stupid, old, geriatric males who have a debate with the television. There are many areas on which I disagree with Julia Gillard, the Australian prime minister – but the other day, when she got stuck into Tony Abbott for sexism, I was all: “You go, girl!”, like an American.”

bemused
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

Henry@1073

Ahhhem… I was born in Western Sydney – Auburn to be precise.
    The only solution I see to the boat people is for Indonesia to be given enough incentive to accept them back to their point of embarkation. And with the squillions being wasted on Nauru and Manus, there is plenty that would be available.

Henry
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

Malaysia would also help Bemused. The full Angus report really must be implemented for success to be measured. How would have Rudd done different?

(And Auburn is not reaaaaalllly Western Sydney these days. Almost inner west.)

Dee
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

A poll question which leads those being canvassed by the nose for a desired result.
    Not worth arguing about!

bemused
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

Henry@1076

(And Auburn is not reaaaaalllly Western Sydney these days. Almost inner west.)

Little Iraq I believe.
    I also attend primary school there for a couple of years before my family moved to the Woollongong area.

Later on I attended Granville Boys High for about 6 months. Real blackboard jungle.

bemused
    Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

Henry@1076

(And Auburn is not reaaaaalllly Western Sydney these days. Almost inner west.)

Yes indeed but I suspect a cap is not a good idea as it suggests a possible end to returns.

bemused
    Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 12:01 am | Permalink

Dee@1077

Not worth arguing about!

It is tainted by that, but I don’t think it can be completely dismissed.

bemused
    Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 12:04 am | Permalink

Goodnight all.

Dee
    Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 12:05 am | Permalink

Bemused

It is tainted by that, but I don’t think it can be completely dismissed.

I think ‘tainted’ is enough to dismiss it completely.

Henry
    Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 12:07 am | Permalink

bemused@1079

Henry@1076

Point is it should be given a chance to work. The noalition say no sadly. Personally I think it could work

(And Auburn is not reaaaaalllly Western Sydney these days. Almost inner west.)

Henry
    Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 12:13 am | Permalink

bemused@1079

Henry@1076

(And Auburn is not reaaaaalllly Western Sydney these days. Almost inner west.)

What is the ALP cap?
    Govt is trying to do the right thing.

cud chewer
    Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 12:19 am | Permalink

This is curious..

Currently on google news is this item..

It's the end of the world as we know it
    Sydney Morning Herald - ‎31 minutes ago‎
    THE world is on track to see "an unrecognisable planet" that is between 4 and 6 degrees hotter by the end of this century, according to new data on greenhouse gas emissions.

And it leads to this link..

“page not found”

I wonder what gives?

PAAPTSEF
    Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 12:47 am | Permalink

“page not found”

I wonder what gives?

same thing at theage, canberratimes, brisbanetimes and watoday.

rishane
    Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 12:56 am | Permalink

So this is interesting:

t was an extraordinarily undemocratic piece of law and Katter was rightly aggrieved. So too was he entitled to declare it a sign the major parties were worried about him expanding his influence.

There are federal implications in Queensland, a state in which not that long ago Labor was tipped to be totally wiped out. The mess plaguing Newman's government has given Labor hope it could actually pick up four Coalition seats in south-east Queensland.

And Katter is so angry at last week's legislation, it is likely he will preference Labor in Queensland, giving it a shot at taking back seats such as Dawson.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/big-dreams-not-just-the-hat-talking-20121202-2aosw.html#ixzz2Du1xRn9f

confessions
    Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Interestingly it was Labor’s pollster who said the party could pick up this many seats at the next election.

Bird of paradox
    Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 1:42 am | Permalink

Speaking of Katter and Palmer, anyone come across this yet?

The Sunday Mail has obtained the results of a Galaxy Research poll taken on Tuesday and Wednesday in the seat of Maranoa, which shows that longtime LNP MP Bruce Scott would face a strong challenge from Mr Bjelke-Petersen.

...

In Maranoa, half the 350 people polled said they would be likely to vote for "a party that would unify Australia" and 43 per cent said they would be likely to support Mr Bjelke-Petersen, rising to 45 per cent among LNP voters.

The research was commissioned by "a consortium of businesses".

Mr Scott has held the traditional National Party heartland seat of Maranoa since 1990 and won a 65.5 per cent primary vote (72.0 per cent two-party preferred) at the August 2010 election.

The Galaxy Poll found his primary vote would be cut to 53 per cent if an election was held now, with Katter's Australia Party picking up 15 per cent of votes.

It’s not quite clear from the way it’s worded, but it looks like John Bjelke-Petersen would be running as some kind of Palmer backed independent, against both Bruce Scott and KAP. That’d be an interesting mess if it happened… Labor would probably wimp out and write it off as a seat they’d come fourth in. B-P the younger couldn’t win Nanango off an ex-One Nation independent in 2006 or 2009 as a Nat, and then didn’t get preselected in 2012 when the LNP won it back… I guess he must really want to carry on the family business.

Kevin Bonham
    Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 2:24 am | Permalink

As for that Maranoa poll, sounds like probably either a push-poll or a skew-poll, and in the unlikely case that it is neither then it rises to the status of being just blatantly defective rubbish.

Asserting that a given party would unify Australia is blatantly spurious and if you ask “would you vote for a party that would unify Australia” and then “would you vote for candidate blah” then you are going to get an inflated response for candidate blah.

(Skew-poll is my name for a poll that doesn’t aim to convince the subject of anything but that employs misleading wording or lead-in questions to try to skew the result so that the client can then report a result that is in their favour.)

This little black duck
    Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 5:15 am | Permalink

Merry Christmas, David!

Labour leader Ed Miliband has set David Cameron a Christmas deadline to back a new law to regulate the press, saying he will pull the plug on cross-party talks if the prime minister has not signed up by then.

When Gordon Brown was in No 11 Downing Street, last-minute tweaks and late-night dashes to the printers were part of the ritual in the runup to a major outing for the chancellor at the dispatch box.

But having tied his own hands by setting up the independent Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR), run by ex-Institute for Fiscal Studies director Robert Chote, Osborne can't get away with the skin-of-the-teeth decision-making favoured by the Treasury's movers and shakers in the Labour years.

Instead, Osborne and his aides now have to present any tax and spending changes they plan to make to the OBR well in advance, so that it can make its own projections of the impact on the public finances.

ajm
    Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 6:07 am | Permalink

Was just reading an article by Sheehan on the horrible violence being visited on small business by the Gillard goverment.

Won’t link to it because it’s rubbish but what caught my eye was his heartfelt farewell to his colleague Phil Coorey, who is “leaving”.

Have I missed something or is this a new revelation? In any case, surely a cause for celebration.

Pity they’re keeping all the other deadheads, though.

shellbell
    Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 6:12 am | Permalink

John Kinghorn in ICAC this week. Be amazed if he ever voted ALP but who cares when you are Obeid sitting in the Upper House.

Kinghorn found Allco which went spectacularly bust and RAMS which he floated for $600m before it collapsed.

A huge donor to St Vincent’s at Paddington he has a wing or ward or something named after him. Hopefully it will be liquid papered out.

fiona
    Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 6:17 am | Permalink

ajm,

Now, how’s this for a fault? The likes of Grattan, Sheehan, Kelly etc are now – in-house – known as honorary journalists. In other words, they are writing their deathless prose purely for the glory that redounds to their names.

It sorta makes sense ;)

And Good Morning Poll Bludgers!!!

fiona
    Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 6:20 am | Permalink

Moi @ 1094:

Now, how's this for a fault thought ...

I should still be asleep. Or sorting the navel-fluff collection. Or something.

BK
    Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 6:32 am | Permalink

Good morning Dawn Patrollers. This bulletin is coming from Horsham.
    I had to laugh yesterday when I saw Mark Latham refer to George Brandis as “George Brandis SC DH“.
    And Malcolm Farr certainly dished it ot out to the Abbott apologist bassett houund sitting in the Piers Akerman position on Insiders.
    This could set a nasty precedent. Perhaps ilia should kick off a few of her own. Like Abbott’s “Get Hanson” slush fund, AWB, Manildra, etc.
    Michelle Grattan gives the Abbott slush fund a bit of a run.
    A bit of a slap to Pell?
    Alan Mpir on the cricket.
    Cathy Wilcox has some suggestions for Christmas gifts for climate change deniers.
    A very good cartoon from David Pope.

We are heading back home this morning. The wedding turned out to be a good show – a typical country wedding on a farm.
    Enjoy the day, Bludgers!

ajm
    Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Fiona

Is this a fact, or are you just hoping!?

This little black duck
    Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 6:38 am | Permalink

An honorary position is given as an honor, with no duties attached, and without payment.

They don’t qualify for the first, only duty is to Sauron and I doubt whether they are doing it for free. 0/3.

BK
    Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 6:40 am | Permalink

And from the Land of the Free –

This is an interesting proposition.
    Hypocrisy runs rampant.
    Some cartoons -

CTar1
    Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 6:43 am | Permalink

Which part of ‘the Indonesians don’t want asylum seekers making for Australia or anywhere else to be in Indonesia’ does Bemused not understand?

Pay Indonesia to keep them!

Deluded.