Newspoll: 54-46 to Coalition

Newspoll ends the year with a three-point blowout in the Coalition’s two-party preferred lead, matching the latest Essential Research result which is a point higher for the Coalition than last week’s.

The final Newspoll for 2012 has the Coalition opening up a 54-46 lead, up from 51-49 last time, from primary votes of 32% for Labor (down four), 46% for the Coalition (up three) and 11% for the Greens (steady). However, personal ratings are little changed, with Julia Gillard on 36% approval (down one) and 52% disapproval (steady), Tony Abbott on 28% approval (down two) and 59% disapproval (down two), and Gillard’s lead as preferred prime minister narrowing from 46-33 to 43-34. Hat tip as always to James J, whom the Poll Bludger wishes a very happy new year.

Essential Research also has the Coalition leading 54-46, which is up a point on last week, from primary votes of 36% for Labor (down one), 48% for the Coalition (up one), 8% for the Greens (down one). The monthly personal approval ratings show a sharp fall for Julia Gillard, down four on approval to 37% and up four on disapproval to 53%, with Tony Abbott respectively steady on 33% and down two to 56%. Gillard’s lead as preferred prime minister is down from 45-32 to 43-34. Also featured are questions on gas and electricity prices, which find 27% blaming the federal government, 16% state government and 45% power companies, and 56% believing power generation and distribution should be operated by government against 24% for private companies. A question on media regulation has 44% believing the Press Council should deal with complaints against 28% for a new government-appointed organisation.

crikey whitey
    Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 12:52 am | Permalink

Fiona

Phewww! Caught post.

Thank Heavens for your well being. Wishing your daughter every protective cover on her travels.

Henry
    Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 12:52 am | Permalink

So in other words, you don’t have a clue ML.
    Exposed. :)

Mod Lib
    Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 12:54 am | Permalink

Henry
    Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 12:52 am | PERMALINK
    So in other words, you don’t have a clue ML.
    Exposed.

Haha. ;) …just too delicious for words.

OK Henry, I will let you get away with thinking you are right!

Hint: notice how there are no other left wing bloggers leaping to your defence and joining in with the attack? Why do you think that is then …..hmm? Yes, they do not admit that I am actually right, but read between the lines of what Displayname posted and see what you think it means ! End of hint

Henry
    Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 12:58 am | Permalink

Hello it’s 1am on Sunday morning perhaps?
    Ha ha to easy. ML we tolerate you for your stupidity and comical value. Capiche?
    Ho ho :)

confessions
    Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 12:59 am | Permalink

Peter Costello was such a superior economic manager that it took a Labor government to offer him a job in retirement when no Australian business would do so.

confessions
    Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 1:03 am | Permalink

Incidentally, how many surpluses did the Menzies government run in its 17 year history?

Great question.

Did this ever get answered?

Tom the first and best
    Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 1:06 am | Permalink

The number of answers that actually gave the number of surpluses has, so far as I have noticed, been equal to the number of surpluses run when Menzies was PM 1949-66. That is to say 0.

imacca
    Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 1:21 am | Permalink

Mod Lib. Do you ever get tired of being a late night dropkick? If you’d like, maybe you should email that to Sloppy Joe so he can use it as a “killer” line?? I’m sure he;s appreciate it.

confessions
    Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 1:23 am | Permalink

That is to say 0.

Exactly.

I will put this question to Mod Lib again when s/he is here next.

CTar1
    Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 4:09 am | Permalink

TV is really interesting around now. For anyone wanting to know the temp in Mexico City today is 25c.

Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 5:15 am | Permalink

New thread.

Ratsars
    Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 5:39 am | Permalink

Dave @# 5396

Who in their right mind would want to be represented by Slipper?

Never the less he was a good speaker

I agree Ratsar, wholeheartedly.

That comment was not mine.

My apologies

HaveAchat
    Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 8:40 am | Permalink

Puff, the Magic Dragon.@5380

Joe6pack@5363

I was jailed once when I was young for contempt when after a silly night I was arrested for dad.
    Next day in court judge asked anything to say for yourself.I still drunk said FO youre honour
    He said 24 hrs contempt.
    Never been silly enough to try and be smart with a judge since

J6p
    That is funny. Probably wasn’t at the time though.

I was once sentence to 2 hours in custody. I was up for driving offences (speeding, unroadworthy car and driving while suspended) and was additionally stupid enough to mutter’if the judge (or ar$ehole I think the term was) doesn’t pull his finger out I’ll be late for work’.

The magistrate asked who said that and I stuck my hand up and he told the guard to take me away and bring me back at the end of the day.

Last time I opened my stupid mouth, and I actually took the time later to write a letter of apology which he wrote back accepting.

zoomster
    Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 9:18 am | Permalink

I’ve always thought the correct reaction to massacres like Newton was to focus on the victims and (as far as possible) ignore the gunman.

After all, so many of the perpetrators have made it clear that they did it because they saw it as the only way to get attention.

So it’s interesting to note that twitter (by and large) is doing exactly that; passing around stories about individual acts of heroism amongst the victims, mourning the innocents, and demanding action to prevent it happening again.

I admit, I don’t know whether it’s the approach all media is taking (perhaps there just isn’t enough information on the killer yet to focus on him; maybe it is a general shift in how these incidents are reported) but it’s still interesting to note.

Fran Barlow
    Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Psephos:

I try hard to be pro-American

I make it my business to be pro-human, whatever the pathologies of the members of the class.

Fran Barlow
    Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Zoomster:

That’s my impression too. I must admit to choking up a litle when I saw that teacher speak of shutting the kids in a cupboard and telling them all that she loved them, on the basis that it might be the last thing they heard.

I’d love that woman in my workplace.

Scringler
    Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Just to wrap up: Spoke to Frank’s sister, Betty, this morning. She was with him until the end.

As she tells it, he took a deep breath, opened his eyes and expired. A painless death. Thank Gawd for that …

Discussed the animals: Betty has it sussed, she is in control. Thanks, I now don’t have to ride shotgun on the bloody parrot.

BTW, this parrot has a foul beak. It tends to screech things like:” Feck off, dickhead …” And stuff like that. It’s an angry bird.

My Boxers are sensitive souls and, I suspect, would not take kindly to such coarse language.

So, all good on the animal front.

Who is it? John Donne. No man is an island …

This is my last post on this subject. Thanks William.

Scringler
    Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Forget the so-called fiscal cliff, forget it.

Mr President Obama,

Disarm the nutters. Here, in Australia, the past Prime Minister, John Howard, was widely loathed and subsequently lost his seat, but he did one good thing: Gun control.

A first step for you would be to outlaw the NRA.

Enough is enough. Act.

Sincerely,
    etc.

CTar1
    Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

The blue bit bit,
    Is there no mercy here? Even fi has been at ne today. It’s the fu”ckrn E Class.

Red stillat club. i’ll get thatbit worked out sometime

scring -normal wester n dog and shit for yoy

CTar1
    Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

can i scroll enouh, fsst secons carsare good.

CTar1
    Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Thak orurng uo someing,`!
    To use the Crikey Clear Comment Preview script, install in order: