Crikey

Labor turns to another career politician without real world experience

So Labor is about to have another leader whose work experience is limited to being a political operative. Lara Giddings is expected to be chosen tomorrow as Tasmanian Labor Leader and hence State Premier following the decision of David Bartlett to relinquish the posts.

23-01-2011 bartlettresignation

The prospective new Premier was elected to the Tasmanian Parliament in 1996 at the age of 23. She was defeated in 1998 but re-elected in 2002. Between times Miss Giddings worked for the Tasmanian Premier as a speech writer and media assistant. Earlier she had worked as a Parliamentary research officer for the Member for Dunfermline East, Helen Eadie, in the Scottish Parliament

In an interview she gave to the Hobart Mercury back in December 2008 she suggested that concern for a family would not be relevant to her political career.

“I’m like a lot of Generation X women who are heading into their late 30s, are still single, whose biological clock is ticking away, and (who are) thinking I would like to have children one day,” Ms Giddings said.

“But if I suddenly said now I’m going to put myself in front of the Government (and resign to concentrate on my private life), this Government would fall over.

“Because this Government could not stand another minister walking away.”

Ms Giddings said she was not deeply ambitious and did not yearn to become premier.

Consequently, she expected to look again at her position in politics and the state of her private life in four years and to reassess then whether she wants to stay past the 2014 election.

“I would love to have children one day and that does play on my mind a lot,” said Ms Giddings, whose parents and older sister Sonya all live in Hobart after a childhood in New Guinea.

“But, while I do think about the future, it may be that I end up never having children.

“But it may be that with appropriate support around me I can have a family (and stay in politics) too.”

Categories: Uncategorized

You must be logged in to post a comment.

8 Responses

Comments page: 1 |
  1. Giddings has been Health Minister, Attorney-General and Deputy Premier, among other things – but the only thing you choose to quote her on is the use of her uterus? C’mon – lift the standard above tabloid.

by Jenny on Jan 23, 2011 at 9:10 pm

2. Well said Jenny. This piece is awful.

by henriporte on Jan 24, 2011 at 11:50 am

3. What Jenny said. Crikey fail.

by Rebecca on Jan 24, 2011 at 12:14 pm

4. Yes, I have to agree with Jenny here – this post starts off alright re Giddings work experience, most of it, it seems, in politics. Then it goes steadily downhill all the way….its almost as if the implication is – a political operative and a woman with no children! How can she possibly govern? Is this the extent of the discussion on her ability (or lack of) to govern Tasmania? What about some analysis on how she might manage the Greens? Or her performance as a cabinet minister?
    Poor effort.

by SusieQ on Jan 24, 2011 at 1:01 pm

5. and one more thing – are we supposed to believe ‘resigning to spend more time with the family’ or is that hiding some other scandal we will never know about?

by SusieQ on Jan 24, 2011 at 1:02 pm

6. yes i agree with Jenny and SusieQ , must be a Liberal hack writer. Don’t mention the skills Abbott brings to his job ? Failed Monk,Failed News ltd writer, and a failed Lawyer.
    Just more Labor bashing.

by Barry 09 on Jan 24, 2011 at 2:58 pm

7. Yes I was confused after reading the title and introduction, which appeared to be about Giddings’ lack of life experience, and then reading about her feelings on whether she will have a family. It doesn’t really match up. Is the problem that she has no life experience other than politics or that she might have kids one day which would take her away the same as Bartlett?

by SageBarnOwl on Jan 24, 2011 at 4:19 pm

8. Go back to gambling, Farmer………cos you’re not much cop as a “journalist”
    ……..or perhaps you’re just auditioning for a Ltd News gig?

by markjs on Jan 25, 2011 at 10:25 pm