The BBC rather proudly reports today that a BBC news story about the global population hitting seven billion topped Facebook’s list of the most popular news stories in 2011.
Coming in second on the Facebook list of the most popular news stories, selected by counting the number of clicks on its site for articles posted from the country’s top media outlets which had appeared as wall posts, likes or shared items, was a London Sun item about a woman who allegedly had a scatalogically-themed tattoo inked on her back by a lover in revenge for her unfaithfulness. Rather snootily the BBC report on the Facebook awards claims other journalists have since cast doubt on the Sun’sclaim.
The top 20 from Facebook:
1. BBC: The world at seven billion
2. The Sun: Tatt-poo for cheating
3. The Guardian: The shocking truth about the crackdown on Occupy
6. The Guardian: Charlie Sheen v Muammar Gaddafi: whose line is it anyway?
7. The Guardian: The meaning of 9/11’s most controversial photo
9. BBC: Drunk Swedish elk found in apple tree near Gothenburg
12. The Sun: Frankie Cocozza kicked off X Factor
15. The Guardian: Osama bin Laden corpse photo is fake
20. BBC: LIVE: Osama Bin Laden dead