Facebook Google Menu Linkedin lock Pinterest Search Twitter

Newspoll: 52-48 to Labor

After a career-threatening result for Malcolm Turnbull three weeks ago, Newspoll records the Coalition bouncing back to near-competitiveness.

Newspoll records a much improved result for the Coalition, with Labor’s two-party lead cut from 55-45 to 52-48. The Coalition is up three on the primary vote to 37%, Labor is down two to 35%, One Nation are steady on 10%, and the Greens are down one to 9%. Malcolm Turnbull is up one on approval to 30% and down two on disapproval to 57%; Bill Shorten is down one to 29% and up one to 57%; and Turnbull’s lead as preferred prime minister has improved from 40-33 to 43-29. The poll was conducted Thursday to Sunday from a sample of 1819. Report from The Australian.

We recommend

From around the web

Powered by Taboola

925 comments

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
antonbruckner11
Guest

Grimace – there are a couple at the end of the last thread.

grimace
Guest

Spelling Burke right would have helped.

antonbruckner11
Guest

Citizen – Thanks. So it looks like Newspoll would have been a disaster too, except for the Snowjob sugar hit, which Malcolm has now dissolved with his 18C fiasco. I suspect then that newspoll will now resume normal operation and voters will be even more pissed off when they realise that the Snowy scheme was just a thought bubble.

grimace

grimace @ #921 Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 9:58 pm

sirgitofsmeg @ #906 Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Tony Burke’s speech was smashing.
The government’s and Turnbull’s decline has been gradual as people have started to wake up to them…I think today they jumped the shark, not because 18c is a burning issue but because they confirmed how crazy and irrelevant they are

Is there a video of the speech anywhere, its not on YouTube atm/yet?

Nevermind, I’ve seen the link.

grimace

sirgitofsmeg @ #906 Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Tony Burke’s speech was smashing.

Is there a video of the speech anywhere, its not on YouTube atm/yet?

citizen

Copied from last thread:

[Antonbruckner11
Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 9:03 pm
Would I be right in saying that most of the polling for Essential would have been done before the snowjob (Tuesday to Thursday) and most of the polling for newspoll afterwards (Thursday to Sunday)?]

Peter Lewis’ article in the Guardian today says the snowjob happened too late to be included in the Essential mix.

citizen

[Antonbruckner11
Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 9:03 pm

CTar1

Poroti

woth

All NZ’ers are Polish.

grimace

steve777 @ #884 Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Yes, it was good luck that the propeller didn’t fall in a populated area, although it was close. Life is full of dangers, but bits of aircraft dropping out of the sky don’t really feature in most peoples’ worries.

On the other hand aircraft bits dropping out of the sky have probably killed more people in Australia than terrorism, and look at the money we waste on that.

SirGitOfSmeg
poroti

Confessions

Here ya go. Well woth a watch.

“Tony Burke: Why do they want to make it okay to racially humiliate someone?”

CTar1

Sir Git

Tony Burke

He’s a very decent politician. Not a leader but capable of doing difficult things.

antonbruckner11

confessions
Guest

Tony Burke’s speech was smashing.

Apologies, but I haven’t seen any QT today. Is there a link to Burke’s speech?

C@tmomma

Alice Workman‏Verified account @workmanalice 13h13 hours ago
Labor has helpfully put out a list of all the times (pre and post election) Turnbull as ruled out changes to 18C.
comment image

Steve777
Guest

Pauline Hanson shares most of the Liberals’ small Government / anti welfare agenda. She just says out loud what much of the Liberal base (including some in Parliament) actually think.

CTar1

Citizen

It’s an unusual event and deserves some looking in to.

Me, also a frequent user in the past of turbo prop a/c for work.

a r
Guest

Is it strange that Essential’s 55-45 result isn’t reported on PB yet?

The general media seem to be running completely dead on the story, but that’s definitely not strange.

SirGitOfSmeg
Guest

Tony Burke’s speech was smashing.

C@tmomma
Guest
In fact, Wakefield, now that I think about it, I tried to debate an issue with Pegasus just yesterday (I don’t know if you were around). I put some legitimate questions to Pegasus after she did her usual schtick of attempting to alert us Labor heathens here on PB to some wonderful new legislation Jamie Parker wanted to introduce to the NSW Parliament, plus incorporated a put down of Labor and added to it with some dodgy figures from Lee Rhiannon’s ‘Democracy’ blog so as to paint Labor in the worst light possible. So I questioned it. What reply did… Read more »
John Reidy
Guest

Perhaps PHON will make some adjustments to their voting pattern following the WA election.
But I agree , Hanson is the Evita Peron of the Liberals.

citizen
Guest
Up until a few years ago, I travelled several times on Rex Saab aircraft of the type that lost the propeller. I’ve also used Qantas propeller aircraft and have occasionally been seated right beside the spinning prop on both airlines. Sometimes I wondered what would happen if a piece of the spinning blade broke off and pierced the fuselage and embedded itself in a passenger. Then I thought “this can never happen”. It seems that the prop headed away from the aircraft without impacting the fuselage, wings or tail. If the prop had headed in another direction there may have… Read more »
John Reidy
Guest

Re. The Darwin Award nominee from Queensland.
The Pythons covered this in an excellent skit years ago

An excerpt

‘Loothesom: (Eric Idle) Here at Lughtborrow are the five young men chosen last week to be eaten by a crocodile for Britain this summer. Obviously, the most important part of the event is the opening 60 yard sprint towards the crocs. And twenty-two year old Nottingham schoolteacher Gavin Watterlow is rated by some pundits not only the fastest but also the tastiest British morsel since Barry Gordon got a bronze at Helsinki. In charge of the team is Sergeant Major Harold Duke.’

Matt
Guest

A R – Not often. PHON has voted 83% of the time with the Gov’t in this Parliament.

C@tmomma
Guest

And in other Pauline Hanson news, just so you don’t go completely soft and gooey over her
😉 she has advocated that SBS be killed off to save money.

C@tmomma
Guest

Sorry, been out of the loop as the storm passed our way and we turned off our electrics. 🙂

In reply to Wakefield’s admonishment, let me just say that if The Greens’ Gestetner didn’t simply come to PB to cut and paste the Anti Labor articles du jour of the day, and, maybe, like, debated with us, as you suggest we do, then maybe we may not be so dismissive.

a r
Guest

For all the flak the microparties take basically for just existing (justified, in PHON’s case, for existing and having some genuinely horrendous views), they sure seem to pay good dividends in terms of keeping the government’s worst overreaches in check.

Matt

Peg @6:15pm:
So what do the other three Nats caucus members do in Parliament, then?

They’re not quite that far gone…but close.

confessions

P1:

Di Natale speaking at the NPC was the first I’ve heard from the Greens in yonks. In fact I haven’t seen them comment on the WA election, although I preface that by saying that I haven’t exactly been tuned into WA news this past week. Labor won in a landslide, that’s all that matters. 😀

Player One

confessions @ #893 Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 8:13 pm

They are suffering relevance deprivation syndrome, evidenced by the fact that their federal leader squibbed an opportunity to talk about a supposedly flagship Greens issue (renewable energy), right, smack, bang in the middle of a national debate about energy security to instead talk about a 4 day working week.

Amazing, isn’t it? As far as I know they still haven’t commented on the energy issue, which in one form or another has been top of the political agenda for weeks.

Or did I blink and miss it?

citizen
Guest
How sad: Pauline Hanson has killed off the federal government’s hopes of the Senate passing controversial changes to welfare payments tied to childcare reforms. The Turnbull government has bundled together 16 welfare cuts, including a reduction to family tax benefits, in an omnibus bill, designed to save billions of dollars that would be redirected into childcare subsidies and disability funding. The votes of Senator Hanson and her three One Nation colleagues in the Senate were critical to the passage of the legislation. But the One Nation leader said the cuts were too hard, too broad and too deep for Australian… Read more »
confessions

Boerwar:

poroti
Guest

Great stuff Tony Burke !!

confessions
Guest

Great news that Gillard will chair Beyond Blue. I wonder if this means she will now be spending most of her time in Oz, having spent a lot of time overseas working on projects associated with young women’s education.

poroti

peter piper

Dick Court said exactly that. From 7:30 report and Red Kerry in 2001

RICHARD COURT: I said during the ’93 campaign I’m not Jeff Kennett and this is not Victoria.

bemused

peter piper @ #888 Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 7:57 pm

I can remember Richard Court and the WA Libs campaigning from opposition in 1993 with ads that said something along the lines of “This isn’t Victoria, and I’m not Jeff Kennett!”

Too many have forgiven Kennett or forgotten what he did. Idiots!

Peter Piper

bemused

steve777 @ #884 Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Look on Google Maps. Between Camden and where it landed is mainly bushland, very sparsely populated. But another few hundred meters and it was right into suburbia.

Boerwar
Guest

I see that the Au Pairs are still at it.
I wonder how they went in Western Australia?
I wonder how they went in the last Federal election?

ratsak

Tony Burke:

I loved the look on Emma Husar. Looks like she felt it.

Steve777

antonbruckner11
Guest

When people talk about legendary parliamentary speakers, Tony Burke will definitely be among their number. And unlike that (brilliant) man Malcolm Turnbull, he doesn’t have to read it.

bemused
Guest

Camden to Revesby looks like about 20 Km as the crow or propeller flies.
My estimate based on Google Maps.

bemused

steve777 @ #877 Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 7:36 pm

In other news, the propeller that fell off the Rex airline the other day has been found in bushland near Revesby (Bankstown area).

It was just over someones back fence in Georges River National Park! My brother lives there and my parents used to.
It travelled quite a distance from Camden area where it was lost.

bemused

rossmcg @ #874 Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 7:33 pm

Bemused
I’ll tell you what I really think of Kennett after the kiddies have gone to bed.
Obviously I am from another place so I didn’t see him up close or be affected by his policies but I think I can understand your feelings.
Victoria’s Thatcher perhaps?

He led a corrupt, evil government. Sold off our railways, trams, gas, electricity and just about anything not nailed down.
Relatives of at least one of his ministers profited handsomely out of this betrayal of the Victorian people.
You dodged a bullet in WA.

zoidlord
Guest

Morrison also blames supply issue:

So in other words, LNP blames everyone but them selves.

cupidstunt
Guest

We’ve all noticed Rex is short of a propeller.

Steve777

zoidlord
Guest
@wakefield Workers need better protection and better income right now every dollar is getting squeezed out of them due to far right politics. My family now is part of those workers, people a my work won’t do weekend work because it’s not penalty rates level, FWC AND the government has shown no care in the world about the decreasing of wages and the ability to pay for things. Morrisson said the other week about people delaying to have babies, to buy a house? Well you cannot live in shared accommodation and have kids hey? Or live at Mum’s and Dads… Read more »
wpDiscuz

Telling you what the others don't. FREE for 21 days.