Facebook Google Menu Linkedin lock Pinterest Search Twitter

Posted

Aug 16, 2011

The Far Right's Day Trip To Canberra

You might have heard today about a co

Share

You might have heard today about a couple of rallies by the far-right in Canberra. There was one by the anti-marriage campaigners (that News Ltd mysteriously calls “pro-marriage” despite the fact that their stated sole aim is to stop consenting adults they don’t like getting married), and there was one by the anti-Labor, sorry, anti-“carbon tax” groups, riled up by talkback radio and bused in by those same groups.

Greg Jericho has more shots of the rally on his yfrog account, including this hilarious sign blaming Gillard for floods.

And apparently giving some unhelpful shout-outs to 2GB, which is busy claiming it was only there to report, you know, like objective journalists:

Shhh! Ixnay on the nisingorgay! We’re officially just here as observers!

PS: Barnaby Joyce on marriage equality:

Nationals Senate leader Barnaby Joyce said his four daughters would be affected if same sex marriage was allowed.

“We know that the best protection for those girls is that they get themselves into a secure relationship with a loving husband and I want that to happen for them. I don’t want any legislator to take that right away from me.”

Does he think some of them are closet lesbians who might be tempted to marry another woman if the option were available to them? Really? Or does he think that men will just give up on marrying women if the option of marrying men were available? Would he?

We recommend

From around the web

Powered by Taboola

75 comments

75 thoughts on “The Far Right’s Day Trip To Canberra

1. What are they protesting about, anyway? | An Onymous Lefty

[…] protest. They don’t have bouncers. We saw it at the anti-Carbon tax rallies, too (although it did seem to be more than a few of them). Even the police had their ratbags, giving the rest of them, the ordinary, decent members, a bad […]

2. Eponymous

I went looking for the Convoy of No Confidence this morning, on my bike in Canberra, and actually couldn’t find it. Apparently numbers were well down on what was expected. Best protest ever, no traffic delays in Canberra. None.

3. jules

I pulled up behind one of those aussie tea party clowns in (of all places) a petrol station Fran.

Brand new big black land cruiser of sopmething massive tho, and all these stiockers on the back – the grog party our answer to the tea party – get rid of gillard.

All these aussie flags with gillard destroying australia bullsit. he really pissed me off to the point where it wasn’t easy to unload a mouthful of abuse on him, but its a free country and all. Anyway these guys are certainly organised and well funded.

4. Fran Barlow

An interesting post by someone who has taken the trouble to take a look at our own teabagging astroturfers …

http://exiledonline.com/teabagger-dundee-america-exports-libertarian-revolution-to-australia/

5. Fran Barlow

I should say that including the floods in the listing of Labor disasters on that sign at the nitwits’ convention, while amusing, was not the only howler.

The big tip was that the sign spelled “Australians” with an apostrophe — a clear indicator of the intellectual pedigree of the signwriter.

Also amusing that while the claim was made that “Gillard = Death of Australian products”, the sign listed “live cattle export” as one of the disasters. Now I’m incliuned to agree that live cattle export is a disaster, in part because it is arguably an example of “Death of Australian products” — by definition. Still, I’m going to go out on a limb and infer that since live cattle exports date from the late 1980s, they don’t see this as a disaster at all.

Putting solar and wind on the list would seem odd since the vast majority of solar facilities and all of the wind facilities are done under state governments.

OK, I’ll grant that last is a bit subtle, for those who don’t know that you can’t make something a plural by inserting an apostrophe.

But a hammer and sickle? Really? One has to laugh.

6. Matthew of Canberra

The departmental emails have started going out, folks. Don’t expect to get to work on time on monday – if at all possible, stagger your working hours.

I think it’s hillarious. Come wednesday morning they’ll all be thinking “yeah – we showed ’em”. By friday we’ll all be talking about something else entirely, like nothing ever happened.

Of course, gillard COULD steal a march by announcing a policy on monday night to regulate minimum working conditions, by federal law, for all employed truck-drivers nationally, which owner-operators would be exempt from – they’d get a relaxation of regulations in return for overall observance of safety standards by negotiation. Everyone would be stoked, except for lindsay fox. And nobody in that convoy would be talking about a carbon tax on tuesday morning. 😉

7. Paul C

Jeremy @ 17 : But it appears that there aren’t many such saps and bigots who aren’t older people.

It does look that way, but there are a bunch of guys at my workplace who are all under 30, and the rage they hold against the carbon tax (to say nothing of the complete contempt they have for Gillard and the Greens) is shit-scary to behold.

8. jules

Its come out in the US that the Tea Party is basically funded by hyper rich psychos who don’t care about the american people. This latest debacle has proved their lack of regard for the US and if anything you could probably put the drop in US credit rating on the Tea Party’s head.

9. SHV

According to an opinion piece in today’s NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/17/opinion/crashing-the-tea-party.html?_r=1&hp

[Polls show that disapproval of the Tea Party is climbing. In April 2010, a New York Times/CBS News survey found that 18 percent of Americans had an unfavorable opinion of it, 21 percent had a favorable opinion and 46 percent had not heard enough. Now, 14 months later, Tea Party supporters have slipped to 20 percent, while their opponents have more than doubled, to 40 percent.

Of course, politicians of all stripes are not faring well among the public these days. But in data we have recently collected, the Tea Party ranks lower than any of the 23 other groups we asked about — lower than both Republicans and Democrats. It is even less popular than much maligned groups like “atheists” and “Muslims.” Interestingly, one group that approaches it in unpopularity is the Christian Right.]

Which begs the question, who thinks Australians are so bent on bothering god that going down this path is a good idea? And, why is anyone who thinks that way in a position to manipulate our politics?

10. Think Big

Jeremy:
    [Yes, I hope there were some progressive documentary-makers there, too. (If you were, we’d love to see some of your footage.)

If not, NEXT TIME.]

Not sure there are many progressive documentary makers left in this country but along those lines Wendy Carlisle did a good story on the Monckton Roadshow in Background Briefing in which she attended one of the rallies (and it includes a scary moment when she was identified as being from the ABC, surrounded and then jostled).

Greg Jericho (Grogs Gamut) has a piece on the latest Canberra rally on The Drum

11. GavinM

Thanks for that lykurgus — it’s clear as mud now ;P

12. liliwyt

Having just read my uni’s student newspaper, I don’t think confected outrage is the sole domain of the elderly

13. lykurgus

“My electorate accepts that all people are equal, but my electorate also accepts, in fact rejects, that not all relationships are equal”

He means that some are more equal than others Gavin.

Hope that clears it up.

14. fractious

EKDV:
    But if fatherlessness causes criminality, where does individual responsibility for one’s actions come in?

You organise your supply of bricks when attending riots. Simples.

See also Devine Right.

15. GavinM

I can’t for the life of me work out what this even means

Does his electorate accept or reject the fact that not all relationships are equal ?

16. revolutionary

My apologies. Breathtakingly he has been a MP since 1998! Obviously getting desperate to get noticed now. Here is more on Strogonoff-gate.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/mp-sorry-for-insensitive-beef/2008/09/18/1221330977822.html

17. revolutionary

Fiz @ 33 : It is John Murphy, the Labor MP who holds the seat of Reid.

[Labor MP John Murphy said relationships between same sex couples were not the same as relationships between men and women.

“My electorate accepts that all people are equal, but my electorate also accepts, in fact rejects, that not all relationships are equal”, the western Sydney MP said.]

A few things. Western Sydney? Reid envelopes the inner-west of Sydney, which includes relatively wealthy suburbs such as Strathfield and Five Dock, but also trendier and progressive spots like Summer Hill. It is a very ethnically and culturally diverse seat. He hardly holds the bible belt yet comes out with this rot about his electorate.

The bloke represents everything that is wrong with the ALP. He is a mindless right-wing clown. His only other contribution to public debate in his eight years in Federal Parliament so far has been when he complained in question time about the serving sizes of the beef strogonoff in the Parliamentary canteen.

18. EKDV

Head just assploded.

19. jules

No doubt when they’re old enough to occupy the gaols she will be calling for the death penalty to save taxpayer money or something.

20. John Reidy

I really hope there was a camera crew going through the crowd and recording comments – perhaps there will be someone in time for the ‘convoy’.

21. EKDV

ANTI-GAY MARRIAGE SPEAKER II: But where are the tears for the child who will grow up without her father in the home? Where are the tears for the fatherless children who will one day occupy 70 per cent of the capacity of our already overcrowded jails?

Gold!

22. Jack Sparraaggghhh

Here’s Angry Anderson (and friends) from the Lateline transcript:

ANGRY ANDERSON, CARBON TAX PROTESTER: There is something insidiously evil going on behind this mask of a carbon tax. Maintain your rage!

TOM IGGULDEN: At times the rhetoric took on a semi-religious dimension.

ANGRY ANDERSON: We are driven by forces we don’t fully understand. They are the forces that, as I believe, are of the divine inspiration – but that’s another story.

ANTI-CARBON TAX PROTESTER [actually another speaker – Jack]: You uplift us, you excite us.

BANARBY JOYCE, NATIONALS SENATOR: Ladies and gentlemen, the Messianic figure is not going to ride over the horizon. You are it. You are the thing that will take our nation back.

Hallelujah, Brothers and Sisters!

23. Eric Sykes

cuppa @ 30….”not as well educated as youth going through the system today…” you have simply got to be joking haven’t you? I mean, are you actually aware of what you are saying there. It is simply ridiculous.

And btw/ merely anecdotal but I work with both old and young people. The young people currently “going thru the system” I meet are by far the most conservative, ignorant, self centered, uneducated and aggressively prejudiced bunch of idiots I have met for some time. their knowledge of politics is zero, so naturally they all hate unions, black people, wogs and Gillard but think that Abbott is an “OK Dude”.

So, gross generalisations will only get everyone into trouble. Politics doesn’t care what age you are. And yes, older people listen to crappy talkback..but then again younger people think facebook is actually important……….. 😉

24. John Many Johns

Here = hear. Doh!

25. John Many Johns

I had the misfortune to here Blooter banging on about this protest this morning on MTR. He was very approving when told by one listener that it had cost here $400.00 out of here OWN pocket to attend. Blooter spent some time confirming that she received no support form a Union, green lobby or other special interest group. This then being followed by a parade of other listeners, with their own stories of the deprivations and hardships they had suffered and endured to attend the protest.

He then went into a big spiel on the quality of journalism, and how the vilification of special interest groups (such as the “No Carbon Tax” lobby) as wing nut and fruit cakes was just plain wrong. The hypocrisy was truly breathtaking.

https://www.crikey.com.au/2011/08/16/the-far-rights-day-trip-to-canberra/ == https://www.crikey.com.au/free-trial/==https://www.crikey.com.au/subscribe/

Show popup

Telling you what the others don't. FREE for 21 days.

Free Trial form on Pop Up

Free Trial form on Pop Up
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.